Main Menu

44912 dcc reversing loop

Started by oghobby, April 04, 2007, 12:07:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oghobby

Can this unit easily be used with other brand dcc systems, if at all/

Hunt

Yes.

It has 3-postion switch for use with 1, 2 or 10 amps.

WoundedBear

Can anyone answer me this?.....I notice that the auto-reverser has three amperage settings. HO is at 2 AMP. My Bmann decoders are rated at 1 amp.

Would I need to run this on "N" setting (more sensitive?) and would I be popping decoders if it was set to the HO setting Bmann suggests? Seems to me there is a mismatch here.

But what do I know? I'm a car freek....lol. Ask me how to rebuild a 440 Dodge....go ahead ask...lmao.....that I can do blindfolded....electricity puzzles me at times.

Sid

Hunt

Sid,
You will not  "be popping decoders if it was set to the HO setting."

No manufacturer’s Automatic Reverse Loop Module adds any current on the track.

It just passes the current already on the rails through but matches the electrical phase on each rail. However, it has to handle the amps drawn when momentary short circuit is created by the equipment entering or leaving the loop.

WoundedBear

Thanks Hunt....I think I'm beginning to understand.

So the max the reverser will trip at is 2 amps?......I take it a loco making contact at the crossed polarity point would never get a 2 amp draw?

Now...one other thing...can an auto-reverser unit be used in DC or are these just DCC only accessories?

Please forgive the rash of questions....I'm recently back into the HO thing....man, lemme tell ya... chit has changed in 15-20 years.....lol.

Sid

Hunt

Sid,
Never too many questions when one is trying to understand.

The sensitivity (amp setting) if set too high the module will be unable to detect the short and thus will not automatically reverse. If the setting is too low the locomotive load triggers the automatic reversing when it should not be triggered.

I know there is some talk… But last I looked all Automatic Reverse Loop Modules work only with DCC. Even though some DCC systems will allow you to control one analog locomotive, an automatic reverse loop module does not properly work when the analog locomotive enters/exits the reversing loop.

WoundedBear

I should clarify my comment about DC and DCC compatability with the auto-reverser.

My layout is wired for DC as well as DCC....I have some older locos that I will never get around to converting to DCC but still enjoy running them.

What I am asking, I guess, is......will the auto reverser unit work when the track is hooked to the DC power setup? Can I wire one of these units into the DC wiring? I am thinking it should be able to perform the same task whether in DC or DCC.

Or am I still missing the bigger picture?

Sid

Hunt

Quote from: WoundedBear on April 05, 2007, 05:02:10 PM

What I am asking, I guess, is......will the auto reverser unit work when the track is hooked to the DC power setup? Can I wire one of these units into the DC wiring? I am thinking it should be able to perform the same task whether in DC or DCC.

Or am I still missing the bigger picture?

Sid
Sid,
Your question already answered. Reread my reply and note " ... Automatic Reverse Loop Modules work only with DCC. "

WoundedBear

I did re-read that.....sorry, I missed the point first time through.....nothing unusual for me though.....got that CRS Syndrome goin on....lol. ::)

Thanks for the explanation.

So...to recap....I can use an auto-reverser when I run the DCC system, and I guess I need to go back to normal old Atlas "switches and snap-relays" for DC operation, correct? I would also need a way to disable or bypass those cicuits when changing back to DCC, right?

Sid

Just slap me one if I'm still thick headed :P

Jim Banner

If you tried to use an auto reverser with dc, it would still trip assuming your power pack put out enough current.  But tripping would reverse the polarity of the track, causing the train to reverse directions.  With DCC, forward direction does not depend on the polarity on the track.  So reversing it does NOT cause the train to reverse directions.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Hunt

Sid,
A track plan without a reverse loop eliminates possible complex wiring and limiting operational issues.  ;D

With a reverse loop I suggest ----- you need to decide… use DCC and forget DC or use DC and forget DCC.

OR

Forget using automatic reverse loop module and use a toggle switch (DPDT) to manually change the polarity of the reversing loop as needed.

WoundedBear

Thanks for the advice and guidance, Gents.

Hunt....I am running a track plan without a reverse loop now....I was just thinking that a reverser unit at each end could eliminate some intermediate track work between the elevations. (ie: instead of a double mainline up to top level, I have one route with a storage track alongside.)

But, know that I have this knowledge in mind, I will go have another look over the layout and see if I can't work something out. I'm very, very close to being happy with the layout of the track.....just a couple areas need tweaking in my mind.

Sid