News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2-6-6-2

Started by Hamish K, July 09, 2009, 09:44:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hamish K

The Ingenio Angelina 2-6-6-2 has long been a favourite of mine. For information on the prototype see

http://loggingmallets.railfan.net/export/ingenio9.htm

and for a photo
http://narrowmind.railfan.net/2662_Ingenio_9.JPG

It's great to see Bachmann making another genuine 30 inch gauge loco, congratulations!!!

Hamish

railtwister

While it looks to be correct according to the photo of the prototype 30" gauge loco, to me, the boiler just looks too small in diameter. Since I'm trying to focus my On30 modeling more on the Maine two foot prototypes, I'm kind of glad this one looks strange to me, otherwise I would have to be trying to figure out how to conjure up a way to justify trying to work it in with my Forneys. I already went through that with the OF 2-8-0 and both of the 4-4-0's! Still, it WOULD look good pulling a long string of the Bachmann log cars...

Regards,
Bill

max (uk)

I hope the sound one will have the correct Mallat chuff rate, as that would be music to my ears.  :)

I dont quite get how they have numbered the models though, as alot of the models share numbers, so you could buy a non sound and sound versions in the same roadname with different numbers.

GREENBRIER & BIG RUN LUMBER CO. #41
GREENBRIER & BIG RUN LUMBER CO. #42 Sound

POCAHONTAS LUMBER CO. #40 Sound
POCAHONTAS LUMBER CO. #42

MIDWEST QUARRY & MINING CO. #43
MIDWEST QUARRY & MINING CO. #44 Sound

COLORADO MINING CO. #46
COLORADO MINING CO. #48 Sound

Would it not make sence to have one of the #42s as #45 or #47?

Im not really bothered as I will only be able to afford one, im just interested as how Bachmann pick their engines numbers.

Now, how do I expand my layout to get one of these to fit... :P

ebtbob

Assuming that Bachmann is committed to using Tsunami technology in all of its sound equipped engines,  then I think you will find the proper steam sync sound.

Bob
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

Lemurien

finderskeepers

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but this engine looks to me like someone took an O scale cab and stuck it on an HO locomotive. When I heard that bachmann was doing an 2-6-6-2 in O scale I was hoping for the same nicely proportioned engine that they had announced for 1:20.3 Oh well.

david coates

Mr. Bach-man
  You told me at the WGH show in San Antonio, that if I didn't like the upcoming loco release, that you would send me one free.  I don't like it times two.. Both undecorated  versions with sound.  Please e-mail me for my mailing address.

David Coates
Hill Country Outlaw

I would not like to see it pushing a string of Koppel ore cars up the incline to the ore transfer.in Boquillas...no way. And where's my Outside frame Hawaiian 0-6-2T, and my cane cars, and my pineapple cars, and my steel Boxcar...

ksivils

It is a model of a REAL 30 inch gauge locomotive.  Most of us think of giant locomotives when you mention articulated steam power, but a lot of articulated locomotives on industrial lines or logging lines were an attempt to spread out axle loadings on light trackage.

Picture this locomotive as a 2-8-2 and all of a sudden it does not look quite as "small."

By the way, most of the 2-6-6-2 that have been bashed by adding a cab to a HO 2-6-6-2 have been of this locomotive.

rayport

Hamish has identified the prototype correctly in addition to the link provided those with a library may wish to refer back to Allen Brewster's article in the November 1983 issue of MR (pages 126 and 127, photo and drawings). Bachmann have really outdone themselves with these new releases. There goes my resolve to accept that I already have too much motive power.

Jake

I think the loco will show up on a lot of HO layouts as well as On30 layouts. I saw the engineering samples at the Hartford show today... those things are TINY!! :o Tear out the cab, and modify the backup light and it would make a more than suitable HO scale locomotive.
Co Admin/Founder of the North American Narrow Gauge Modelers!
http://www.getphpbb.com/phpbb/northamericanna.html
www.myspace.com/vfb1210

JIMMY!! HAFF AR LODE JUST DROPPED LOOS!!!

max (uk)

QuoteMilan was the smallest 2-6-6-2 built in North America

That might explain why, if it is the prototype mentioned above.

The prototype has a 43' and 9.5" long wheelbase, so does anyone know what calculations I need to do to find out what that would be in 1/4inch scale? I.e. to find out how long the model should be roughly.

rayport

Judging from the Brewster drawing the 2-6-6-2 is very similar to a stretched version of the current OF 4-4-0. The cab is the same size as is the boiler diameter but the boiler is approximately 3/4 inch longer. The Ingenio Angelino prototype is quoted as having 33" drivers on 36" centers the total wheelbase (lead truck to trailing truck c/l) is 27' 0". The 1983 MR article has both a prototype photo, 1/4" drawing and suggestions on making a similar engine from parts that were conventionally available at that time.

Ken

Max
   With a length of 43ft divide by 4 and you get 10&3/4inchs in length. just looking at
the plans from MR.

Ken Clark
   GWN

El Loco

Strange choices for production models if you ask me.  Not one bit impressed with their decisions the past two years.
Don't send me one.  Not even  for free...

mmiller

Quote from: finderskeepers on July 10, 2009, 06:07:41 PM
I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but this engine looks to me like someone took an O scale cab and stuck it on an HO locomotive. When I heard that bachmann was doing an 2-6-6-2 in O scale I was hoping for the same nicely proportioned engine that they had announced for 1:20.3 Oh well.

I agree...it looks too much like an HO scale loco converted to O for me ( sorta like the inside frame 4-4-0)

I really "get" that in the On30 world there is a demand for both small locos and large ones (relatively speaking anyway, they are all pretty darned small)...

But I don't see how making models of one-off, teeny tiny larger locos, like the IF 4-4-0 and the new 2-6-6-2 makes either group happy...IMHO the 4-4-0 was too "big" for the industrial modelers, too "rod engine" for the loggers and too small for the  common carrier modelers...sure it was cute and all but it seems (again IMO) that building a more common style narrow gauge, inside frame 4-4-0, along with something like a Heisler would have made more people happy than the IF and OF 4-4-0 that Bachmann made <shrug>

anyway...I think the new 2-6-6-2, while kinda cute and cool, is like a lot of the Bachamnn stuff in the last few years, and falls into the category of neither fish nor fowl... :-\

mike miller
San Juan Pacific Lines
On31.17 California 3' narrow gauge