News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Excursion Car

Started by Hamish K, July 09, 2009, 08:20:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hamish K

The new HO excursion cars just announced (see home page) are exactly what I have been hoping for in ON30. Surley we won't have to wait at least another 12 months for them in ON30?

Hamish

railtwister

I sure hope you're not holding your breath, they probably won't be released until after the Heisler!

Melinda

I'd rather see On30 versions of the Jackson & Sharp-type excursion cars (already available from Bachmann in HO). They're more old-time-y looking than the newly announced ones.

mmiller

Quote from: Melinda on July 11, 2009, 02:08:50 PM
I'd rather see On30 versions of the Jackson & Sharp-type excursion cars (already available from Bachmann in HO). They're more old-time-y looking than the newly announced ones.

I agree, I'd love to see those on On30...they'd look great behind a Forney
mike miller
San Juan Pacific Lines
On31.17 California 3' narrow gauge

railtwister

Check out the Sept/Oct 2007 Gazette for a similar On30 excursion car kit-bashed by Bob Hayden for his On30 Elk River RR, out of leftovers from his On30 side-door caboose project (that was surely the prototype for the new Bachmann On30 caboose) shown in the Nov/Dec 2006 Gazette. I sure hope we see this excursion car soon in On30!

Regards,
Bill

Hamish K

Quote from: Melinda on July 11, 2009, 02:08:50 PM

The new HO Bachmann cars may be based on modern tourist cars but they are not unlike excursion cars used by some lines during the days of regular service. One issue with the HO Jackson and Sharpe cars is that the seats are fixed so the cars can really only be run in one direction. If they were to be made in ON30 I would hope that the seats would be reversible, or arranged in bays.

Personally I prefer the type with longitudinal seats, but of course this is a matter of preference.

I know there are kits, but some people prefer ready to run.

Hamish

railtwister

Actually, the Sept/Oct 2007 Gazette article about Bob Hayden's kitbash included a photo of the cut-and-paste modified Wes Ewell drawing of the real SR&RL excursion car that Bob used for his model, which was very close the prototype, but just a few feet shorter.

Regards,
Bill