News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

concrete paint

Started by SteamGene, July 11, 2009, 06:07:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteamGene

I've gotten rather disgusted with the "concrete" paint available from railroad paint companies.  I've found that I can find large cans in the decorator section of Lowe's and Wal-Mart that do a much better job of representing concrete. Rust-0-leum's "Oregano" and " Fossil" and Krylon's "Sand" and "Rock" look more like the concrete I've seen, at far less the cost! 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

BestSnowman

I just use regular grey paint for concrete, good enough for me.
-Matthew Newman
My Layout Blog

pdlethbridge

polly s concrete is perfect for me

jonathan

I usually start with a very light tan to represent freshly poured concrete or cement.  Then I dry brush various shades of grey to represent aging of the concrete.  For brick and mortar, I use light grey if the building is old and light tan if the building is newer.  Keep in mind I'm partially color blind, but that's what I observe in protypical structures, platforms and sidewalks.  Also, I've found I can make just about any shade I need, mixing up various Apple  Barrel paints.  They're cheap, finish flat, don't stink and are water soluble.

Just my two cents.

Regards,

Jonathan

CNE Runner

Thanks for the great suggestions guys...I'll work them into my modeling. Luckily there wasn't too much concrete/cement in rural 19th century America. I've bookmarked this thread for future reference. Like Pdlethbridge, I also have used Polly S Aged Concrete paint - then go over it with weathering powders. I will try Gene's idea of using Rustoleum and Krylon paints...always willing to try something new.

Thanks,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"