News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

HO Scale track switches

Started by Jake, April 04, 2007, 07:30:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jake

I need someone to help me ind a reliable source for HO Scale switches for my layout, and though it may at the least a year before I even sniff a piece of flex track and wood for benchwork, I'm getting everything laid out now. Now I plan on using Micro Engineering Code 83 flex track, but that is it, I need to know, where I can get #4-#8 straight rack switches, and #6-#8 curved switches with an outside Radii of no more than 48" I was going to use Peco Electrofrogs, but I have decided to just use regular insulated turnouts and paint the frogs and guard rails steel gray. Does anyone know of a reliable supplier of the turnouts described aside from Peco or Shinohara? I am indeed willing to make sacrifices such ans the curved and #4 turnouts as they would be rarely used anyway. Thanks in advance!
Co Admin/Founder of the North American Narrow Gauge Modelers!
http://www.getphpbb.com/phpbb/northamericanna.html
www.myspace.com/vfb1210

JIMMY!! HAFF AR LODE JUST DROPPED LOOS!!!

brad

I think Cenral Valley also has turnouts. They also make a curvable (you decide the radius) turnout kit in various switch numbers. I was going to use Micro Eng.'s flex track but, after I got the first bundle, I changed my mind. I found it VERY hard to work with  forming curves. It is very stiff and makes getting a nice, constant, smooth radius difficult  I changed to Shinohara and was very happy as it was much easier to work with. I also used Shinohara turnouts and  I'm quite happy with their performance. You can either insulate the two inside rails or cut a small gap just after the point on the diverging rails as I did. One problem I'm having as the layout gets a little olderf is getting reliable power to the point rails as I didn't add a feeder wire as I layed my track. I'm now going to have to go back and do that.

As far as suppliers. I got a few from my LHS but most were bought off E-bay at a great savings, usually in bulk lots.

brad
I drempt, I planned, I'm building

ebtbob

Jake,

Based on what you say,  it sounds to me as if Walthers' line of code 83 turnouts may work best for you.   If that be the case,  then any train store should be able to help you or you can just deal directly with Walthers.

Bob
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

r.cprmier

Central Valley makes turnout kits-and they are very good quality kits-but if you are looking to move ahead and are fairly new at this hobby, then I might suggest going to either Atlas or Peco "RTR" type turnouts-and while you are at it, stay clear of anything under a #6 turnout if you can avoid it; especially if you are running steam in the eight-coupled variety or larger.  #8 in this case, would be better yet.  Both companies have a comprehensive list of turnouts, but Peco has curved turnouts.  Central Valley turnout kits have to advantage of being  able ot "engineer" a fit with turnouts, as the tie sections are flexible.  CV's turnout kits also come as #7-an odd-sounding size, but they do work out.

Jack Parker (Central Valley)  puts out high-quality stuff, and would probably be helpful if you had a question or two; but the turnouts have to be assembled.

Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

Jake

^Could you post a link to the central valley website? And I only have two questions about their turnout kits: one are they pricey? And two do they make Wye turnouts? And as far as not going below a No. 6 turnout, I only plan on using 4's and 5's where larger locomotive wouldn't or rarely would go, such as the logging and mining divisions I'm planning for my layout, you know shays, climaxes, (cimaxies?) 0-6-0t's where those type of engines would be used. And thanks for the help, does anyone have any good recommendations on nice code 83 flex track? I know I have a lot of question but I'm new to the "good" side of Model rRing, (I used to only buy Life Like power-loc train sets)
Co Admin/Founder of the North American Narrow Gauge Modelers!
http://www.getphpbb.com/phpbb/northamericanna.html
www.myspace.com/vfb1210

JIMMY!! HAFF AR LODE JUST DROPPED LOOS!!!

r.cprmier

Jake;
Try www.cvmw.com  That is Central Valley's site.  They have a lot of product-like I inferred, this line is top quality stuff, and a lot of newer modeleres might shy away from the thought of building a turnout.  You are not, inthe true sense of the word, building a turnout with CV's kits.  Everything is pretty much done-but I also  reiterate my last post, in that there are some definite skills that need to have been acquired to put these kits together and install them so that they will be reliable.  Jack puts out a great propduct, but the level of expertise is obviously going to have to be with the modeller.
On the other hand, there is nothing like jumping in and trying your hand at something above the ordinary.   Talk to most master modellers and they will tell you that is how it is done-expertise isn't born, it is acquired and honed.  Try taking a look at Jack Parker's website.  I think you will be delighted at what you find.

Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

brad

Shinohara/Walthers or Atlas code 83. I got a couple of pieces of code 83 Shino. track by mistake when I bought a big bundle ( I use code 70)and it is very nice looking track. I've also seen Atlas track and it is also just as good although not quite as detailed. Once it's painted and ballasted it will all look and perform pretty much the same.

As I stated before, I personally didn't like the Micro Engineering track as I found it hard to work with. There are a lot of people who will disagree with me, that's just my opinion. I will admit, the do make the nicest looking track that there is as far as detail.

Central Valley also make track tie strips that you add bulk rail to to form your own flex track. I haven't seen it in person, so can't attest to its appearance or ease of use. If it's anything like the rest of their MRing stuff it wil be top notch.

brad
I drempt, I planned, I'm building