Copyright Question For The Bach-man

Started by Yampa Bob, July 14, 2009, 03:01:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yampa Bob

Dear Mr B.
I would like a clarification regarding copyright of product images used on this site. For example, I am currently bashing a Connie into a 0-8-0 Tank engine. For my computer mockup design, I used a picture of a Connie from this site, then modified and added features with my image program.

Am I permitted to post the computer mockup image, since the model is based on Bachmann's image?  Typically in such a situation, I add a note on the image, such as: ("Base model image copyright Bachmann Industries")

I believe this is permitted under the "Fair Use" provisions of copyright law, but wanted to check with you to be sure. With your permission, I can post the image as a representative sample, for your consideration, and for future reference. I guess members would need a "blanket permission" for such images.

Thank you.

Note to all: This question can only be answered by the Bach-man.  The following is from the forum "Registration Agreement":

"You agree, through your use of this forum, that you will not post.......any copyrighted material unless you own the copyright or you have written consent from the owner of the copyrighted material."

Since Bachmann owns the copyrights, only Bachmann can grant permission to post the images. I would expect such written consent to contain the caveat "For posting on the Bachmann forum only".
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

the Bach-man

Dear Bob,
I believe so, but I'll try to get an official ruling.
Thanks!
the Bach-man