News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

bachmann train newcomer

Started by whatsamatteru, July 16, 2009, 08:12:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whatsamatteru

hi, just got a b&o 4 pack heavyweight passenger set by bachmann.  beautiful set.  i am very new to the hobby and i was just wondering why the prices are reasonable compared to lionel new catalog.  now im not talking about vision.  but the classic line.  again i am new so i am not trying to ruffle anyones feathers.  i asked this same question at O GAUGE MAGAZINES FORUM and they deleted it.  so much for free speech.  well i guess i wont be getting another years sub from them nor will anyone of my friends. 

CNE Runner

Welcome Wahoo to the forum!! We are glad you decided to join our [not so] little band. I would love to answer your question (the only stupid question on this forum is the one not asked); but I don't know what scale you are talking about. Is your B&O set O-gauge or HO?

I am going to assume you do not have a layout yet. If this is your first attempt at same; please keep in mind that we are all here to help you in any way we can. In my own case there probably aren't many mistakes I have not made in the hobby. Keep in mind there are centuries of experience within the hallowed walls of the Bachmann forum...you have a direct path to that experience. Please take the time to familiarize yourself with the forums simple and logical set of rules.

Take care and post as often as you can. BTW: is your name really 'Wahoo'?

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

whatsamatteru

no its not wahoo.  i am a tribe fan so my screen name is for chief wahoo.

name is don

real brief summary for ya so i dont bore anyone.  new to the hobby.  got my dads train when he passed away 8 years ago.  so i finally pulled it out and took it down to the hobby shop.  the thing probally hasnt run in over 45 years.  he put it on the layout they had there and it took off.  so i was hooked at that moment.  it is a 1953 lionel 736 berkshire.  he has the complete set 2211 freight set but substituted the turbine that came with the set with the upgrade 736. 

so i have a freight set but needed a passenger set for it to pull and the bachmann b&o just looked awesome so i got it.   just started my layout.  so i am watching videos.  i bought a year of subscription to o gauge mag at a rummage sale.  but because their forum is communist i want be giving them anymore money.

going to have a farm layout

CNE Runner

Hi Don - That Lionel #736 Berkshire is a nice locomotive...we've sold several at various shows over the years. Let's talk a little about your engine: you mention that it was manufactured in 1953 (actually this model was produced from 1953 to 1955); which would make it one of the newer versions of the 736...although there was a production run that followed yours. Your locomotive should have the 2046W tender. Yours also came with Magnetraction, diecast trailing trucks, smoke, and a heat-stamped cab number. The 'less appealing' news is that your 736 is fairly easy to find - which affects its value.  TM gives a value of $325 for your engine (in excellent condition)...a price that you would be hard pressed to get in the real world. The #2211WS [4-car freight set produced in 1953] is extremely common and would fetch a top price of $75...assuming it to be in excellent condition.

As a farmer's son I like the idea you are going to have a farm theme to your upcoming layout. Take some pictures and post them on the forum as you proceed.

Say Don, I decided to modify this post because I didn't want you to think I was saying anything negative about your dad's train set. You have a wonderful set of trains and, as a vendor, I can say they are in demand (just keep them lubricated and off any carpeting). I don't think there is anything to match the smell of ozone emanating from a running Lionel train...really brings back the memories (the buzzing of the E-unit is another favorite memory). I have a couple of Lionel train sets (and one Williams) that I wouldn't trade for the world...even though I model in HO...you have to have at least one of the classics!

One thing you could clear up for an old man is the meaning of your statement: "...but because their forum is communist I [won't] be giving them any more money." Don, I am not taking exception with your statement - I just don't know what it means. A loose definition of communisum is: "to each according to their needs." Even I know that the use of this word has changed context. Please do an old gray beard a favor and inform me of its modern meaning.

Thanks partner,
Ray

whatsamatteru

thanks for the info frank.  that kinda stinks on the value.  but since im never going to sell it i guess it doenst matter.  they are in excellent condition.  called my uncle up and he said he thinks there is probally 20 hours of run time one it.  said they pretty much had it under the christmas tree for a few years but once they got into their teens that was it.  then sat in storage till me.  the only thing that really really stinks is the boxes are gone.  my uncle is upset about that because he said those boxes were in pristine condition.  my grandpa was real maticelit (spelling) with everything and he said those he was the one to take it our and put it back. but somewhere along the moves from house to house must have got lost.

yes i would be glad to post some pics.  2 things.  this is my first layout so its going to be pretty basic.  and 2 i dont know how to post a pic.  is it as easy as ebay on here.  just upload and click.

thanks
don

CNE Runner

Thanks for answering my question Don.

Ray

pdlethbridge

Don, just a word about language, be careful about what you say as this site has a lot of kids on it and  I wouldn't want you to be deleted because you slipped and said a bad word.

whatsamatteru

no, i dont use profanity in a forum.  wouldnt do that.

pdlethbridge

see above that you said "thats what p.....s people off" just a slip of the tongue, I guess

whatsamatteru

i dont think that is a cause word

jettrainfan

i think we get the point ;). lets get back to subject before this gets notified. :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZL7jR1cRb4             

This is how i got my name and i hope that you guys like it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jettrainfan?feature=mhw4
youtube account

SteamGene

The post may have already been deleted.  Actually, that particular word is not profanity, but it is a vulgarity by most standards.  As noted, there are a few teenagers and a few kids, so it's best not to use a word you wouldn't use in church or in front of your grandmother or your great aunt.   :D
If you were ever in the service, do not use any word your drill instructor used when agitated.   ;)
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

the Bach-man

Dear All,
Gene's right- if you wouldn't say it in church, don't say it here...
Not too hard to figure out.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

whatsamatteru

understood.  will watch my p's and q's.

pcctrolleyII

PCC trolleys for life.