News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

On30 Garret

Started by robman, July 17, 2009, 05:22:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

robman

Hi guys. Just a quick note from over here in Kiwiland. Although as yet I'm not an On30 modeler,but I may make the change soon, I have come across something which may interest you for sale over here. I don't know how to add a link on to a post so I'll give you the directions so you can check out this amazing model yourself. By the way, I don't know the person selling this. Go onto,
WWW.trademe.co.nz and then click onto> toys and models>models>railway>locomotives and about half way down page one you'll find it. Hope you like it. Cheers Rob. Modeling over there over here.
Modeling over there over here

max (uk)

That has to be the strangest thing I have seen in all my modelling life..  :o

Who on earth would do such a thing...

To save the others effort, its a Climax-Garratt with DCC sound!

Makes me think who would buy this work of Frankenstein?  ???

Woody Elmore

I sure hope that the officials of the Moose Co. Railway have a plumber on 24 hour call!

I love this model - it's funky and will drive the rivet counters nuts!

ebtnut

Well, whatever winds your clock I guess.  I talked with Lee Riley at the Hartford show about the possibility of an On30 Garrett.  As always, he wouldn't comment or commit directly on future projects.  But he did allow as how if they did do one, it would likely be in 1:45 rather than 1:48, to better meet the overseas markets.  Now, assuming they decided to something like a 15G, the size differential would not be a significant impediment IMHO, since these were small lokies to begin with. 

Jim Banner

A Climax-Garratt!  Just the locomotive for pulling long, heavy trains over tightly twisting light weight rail.  What a great idea.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Linzthom

Hi guys,

I've seen this model in the flesh . Its mech is rather suspect.  ??? ???Seemingly it drives from only one set of wheels in the front and rear bogies. It is very loud.  :oAlthough he may have had it turned way up. I would say it is about 3ft long. I came awayfrom the shop muttering : NO !!  Interesting concept. But even a Garrett enthusiast seemed very perplexed when he discovered it.

Hey Robman. Where are you?  Westland,  Hokitika here

Lindsay T. (NZ )
I'm going to live forever; or die trying

Hamish K

Bashing fantasy locomotives is an aspect of the hobby that appeals to some, and good luck to them. However, and this may only be me, I see little point in buying someone-elses fantasy. Surely the idea is to imagine and create your own fantasy locomotive? If its not a model of an actual loco (or near enough) I want it to be my fantasy.

Interesting that Mr Riley should even mention making a 1:45 scale loco. 1:45 is a common European O scale and fits in between the American (1:48) and British (1:43) scales. If a product was being made to appeal across the various O scales  1:45 would make sense as it is requires less compromise than 1:48 scale if you are in 1:43, or 1:43 if you are modelling in 1:48. Does this mean that Bachmann are at least contemplating an international narrow gauge range aimed to appeal world wide? If so a Garratt would be an obvious choice.

Hamish

Linzthom

But we want a HEISLER!!!!  first
I'm going to live forever; or die trying

robman

Hey all. That seemed to get some of you going a bit. I do agree with the comment that it would send the rivet counters nuts and, well, it certainly is different. Lindsay, I'm in Auckland on the north shore. Cheers Rob.
Modeling over there over here

ksivils

Thank goodness there is a NG-16 on a private railroad in Texas.  That is all the excuse I would need to obtain one for my fictional railroad.  Well, likely two.  One to leave in more or less original appearance and then one to "Americanize."

There are only two more locomotives I want to see Bachmann produce. The ever requested Heisler and a Garratt, either an NG-16 or the huge beast on the Puffing Billy.

Hopefully the statement about 1:45 was a teaser of what lies in the future.

kkramke

I would depending on the price.  Building it looks somewhat difficult for the superstructure.  The drive train probably could be done using two climaxs.

railtwister

Quote from: ksivils on July 24, 2009, 08:17:02 PM
Thank goodness there is a NG-16 on a private railroad in Texas.  That is all the excuse I would need to obtain one for my fictional railroad.  Well, likely two.  One to leave in more or less original appearance and then one to "Americanize."

There are only two more locomotives I want to see Bachmann produce. The ever requested Heisler and a Garratt, either an NG-16 or the huge beast on the Puffing Billy.

AMEN!

Ken

Quote from: ksivils on July 24, 2009, 08:17:02 PM

As Baldwin held the North American rights to the  Garratt designs what might it have looked like.
    Hmmm Baldwin Garratts pulling logging trains

Not sure the G 41/42 are huge beasts compared to the NG-16s

Stack height is only 2&3/4 inches higher,
   Wheel base is 1ft 3inchs longer
   Overall length is 2ft 3inchs longer

NarrowMinded

Quote from: Hamish K on September 13, 2009, 06:24:06 PM
I thought politicsal comments were banned on this board.

Hamish

I removed my original comment, but it was a remark about what a mess this thing looks like , so I'll make my comment more PC for the sensitive censor types,
When I look at this loco it immediately makes me think of my Junk-drawer.

El Loco

Perhaps the Euro market.  It surely isn't on my to buy list
Far to exotic for this old country boy.
Thanks but no thanks... ;)