News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

new locomotives

Started by DChinn, April 05, 2007, 04:11:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DChinn

If there should be a new large steam loco in the process, might we expect it to be 1:20.1 scale or some other?    Dan

JerryB

Quote from: DChinn on April 05, 2007, 04:11:43 PM
If there should be a new large steam loco in the process, might we expect it to be 1:20.1 scale or some other?    Dan
Do you mean after the previously announced 1:20.3 scale (Fn3) K-27?

Some wish lists and suggestions go by from time to time, but I don't think Bachmann has made any specific announcements of new LS locomotives. The arrival date for the K-27 seems to be somewhere in the foreseeable future.

I'm hoping for a 1:20.3 scale, modernized version of the 4-4-0, the Centennial 2-6-0 or a 2-8-0. Can anyone say NCNG #5 or #8? Lots of room on my RR for a 1900s engines to pull those 1900 to 1930s boxcars and hoppers.

Happy RRing,
Jerry Bowers
Sequoia Pacific RR in 1:20 / 70.6mm
Boonville Light & Power Co. in 1:20 / 45mm
Navarro Engineering & Construction Co. in 1:20 / 32mm
NMRA Life Member #3370
Member: Bay Area Electric Railway Association
Member: Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources

Tim Brien

Dan,
       all of Bachmann's projected locomotives will be in 1/20.3 scale.  The K-27 has been announced but due contractual comitments with Soundtraxx (Blackstone) the company is unable to discuss the project.  anticipated release is late this year,  in time for Christmas.

Bachmann has also announced a rerelease of their excellent 4-4-0 locmotive in actual 'period' pant schemes.  Although many over the past few years have requested a modernised version of the loco,  Bachmann has decided to release this loco with just a new coat of paint,  without any tooling alterations.

Apart from the K-27 release,  I would not expect any new production items to be announced,  other than repaints of existing tooling.   The K-27 will certainly tax the budget dollars for Bachmann and this loco,  will,  I believe,  curtail future new production for many years to come.

Guilford Guy

WOW TIM PANT SCHEMES! MUST BE WORTH A  LOT ;D ;D ;D
I am anticipating the K-27 even though I am a standard gauge modeler. I hope the price won't skyrocket though  :-[
Alex

Tim Brien

Alex,
       I certainly hope that the engineer and fireman are suitably attired with the correct period 'pants' to go with the new period 'paint' scheme.

traindude109

I really want a K-27. I hope they do come out by Christmas. Throw in a Sierra Sound System and perfect!
Matt

Boulder Creek and Western Railroad (G scale 1:20.3)

Tim Brien

Matt,
        unless Bachmann have 'learned their lesson' on the 3-truck Shay,  then the sound will be more like a Bachmannierra sound.   I fail to see,  apart from sound system manufacturer reluctance,  why a manufacturer cannot install a quality aftermarket sound as an option.  Why do we have to get a system which is simply not up to the task (and apparently badly installed in the first instance)?

Tony Walsham

Quote from: Tim Brien on April 06, 2007, 07:22:53 PM
Matt,
        unless Bachmann have 'learned their lesson' on the 3-truck Shay,  then the sound will be more like a Bachmannierra sound.   I fail to see,  apart from sound system manufacturer reluctance,  why a manufacturer cannot install a quality aftermarket sound as an option.  Why do we have to get a system which is simply not up to the task (and apparently badly installed in the first instance)?

Tim,
That is a rhetorical question, right? :'(
Tony Walsham
Founding member of the battery Mafia.

(Remote Control Systems).

Tim Brien

Tony,
        many are aware that the current stock sound system from Bachmann is simply not adequate, with lack of adjustment,  restricted remote control capability and generally not what was anticipated from a respected sound unit manufacturer.  How much of what we did get was a result of politics or economics, from either manufacturer,  will be shown, if the K-27 arrives with the 'basic' sound unit.

The 1/20.3 scale market is quickly establishing itself as a ready scale for remote control operation.  If the mikado arrives with no such capability then Bachmann's intent will be obvious.

Steve Stockham

For myself (and I suspect, a great many r/c battery folks), the issue is not whether the K-27 will come with a Tsunami option but whether this "option" won't be optional! :o  As it currently stands, the DCC sound system "utilizing Tsunami technology" doesn't have any way to interface with r/c systems and doesn't have any external triggers.
  It has been feared that Bachmann will offer the K-27 with the new DCC sound system on all of their models! If this indeed happens then it could be even more of a problem for those of us that use r/c  than we first believed. Some DCC experts have purported that the unit (I'm going to call it "Quasinami") is integral to the correct running of the motor. In essence, if you rip out the "Quasinami" then the motor won't run right! :(
  Johann, please please please, if you are reading this thread, please convey to the main office our grave misgivings if this is indeed the plan! Use this new system if you must but please give us the option for K-27's without sound included!

Bud Steinhoff

I am anxiously waiting for the K and would hope that it is available without any sound or DCC goodies.
I just want a plain K so I can put my stuff in it.
Bud

JLyans

If anyone at Bachmann cares or is counting, I would like to put in a vote for NO sound system or at least an optional sound system. There are just too many variables, individual preferences and system requirements to make everyone happy. Spend the money on a great motor and drive train and leave the sound system to the buyer.  

John Lyans

Barry BBT

I second the motion/notion that no sound is better than having to pay for the wrong or inapplicable sound.  I too am an R/C devotee (see: Mafia member), any electronic hardware coming my way that I have to pay for will discount the attractiveness of the item I am wanting to purchase.

The R/C group is not as vocal as we should become.  It is not significantly noticed that we are an active group of some number who are not as avidly represented by the likes of the nmra folks who are promoting DCC.  This makes the nmra adversarial to us and not representative of the hobby, in our case.  If my feelings about nmra are negative, it is because they are promoting an aspect of the hobby which does me no good, in fact may effect my purse strings.   

Barry - BBT 
There are no dumb questions.

Hunt

It is truly unfortunate that much of what is posted here and a few other places by some of the large-scale model railroading R/C group is adversarial in tone and theme. A lot of opinions sadly are blunt threats.

Why can not the R/C members state their requirements and concerns in a constructive manner to a manufacturer without the slurs and attempt at intimidation?   

Yes, I have some large-scale trains that I enjoy.

Tim Brien

Hunt,
        I see nothing adversarial about asking for the same arrangement that DCC users seem to have with upcoming Bachmann releases.  I have no need for R/c or for DCC for that matter and yet I am required to pay additional for electronic equipment that I simply do not intend using.  I have many wizz-bang decoder-equipped LGB locomotives that will never see a digital command.  By supplying a decoder, LGB implies that the user will use their dcc variation and so use of their sound system in analogue degrades the quality of the sound and the company removes the stationary sound capacitors so additional expense is required,  unless minimal voltage retained at the railhead to activate those sounds.

I would hope that Bachmann does not go the way of LGB and only offer dcc equipped locomotives, with their own 'modified' version of what a budget sound system should be.  Requesting a baseline analogue loco is not being intimidating or being adversarial.  Implying that it may be so, is in itself intimidatory.