Question on how to safely pack and engine for shipment.

Started by Robertj668, July 17, 2009, 08:37:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robertj668

Hi everyone

I am shipping some engines and am curious on how to  package it safely.
I was going to bubble wrap it, use news papers to make a cradle in the box.

Then I was thinking maybe wrap it first in a soft cloth then bubble wrap and maybe a large zip lock bag the the paper to cradle it.

Again thank you for the input everyone.

Robert

pdlethbridge

that sounds like a plan. Just make sure it doesn't rattle around in the box. Use extra news paper if you have to. I bubble wrap all my engines and keep them in the middle of the box.

Robertj668

pdlethbridge
Should I wrap it in a soft cloth first too?
Robert

Jim Banner

A soft cloth may shed lint which tends to collect in oiled places like bearings, right where you do not want it.  Don't use it.  Plastic bubble wrap seems to work just fine.  I often use thin foam plastic, the kind about 1/8" thick that is used under laminate wood flooring.  New, of course.  Old stuff usually contains abrasive dirt.  Do not use foam rubber, at least not for long term storage.  It slowly breaks down and sticks to the locomotive, creating a major cleaning problem.

The best way is to start off with the original box, if available.  Otherwise, bubble wrap the locomotive, slip it into a small box, then put the small box into a larger box with plastic "peanuts" or chips or crumpled newspaper between the two boxes.  Then you can drop it, throw it, punt it like a foot ball and the locomotive will still survive.  Even the post office has trouble damaging a locomotive packed this way.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Robertj668

Thank for the help the engines are on their way.  I took apart the train set box which was Styrofoam.  Secured it with the packing bubble wrap and then secured it in the box with more bubble wrap and newspaper