News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

photos

Started by whatsamatteru, July 18, 2009, 10:35:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whatsamatteru

hi, i am doing my first layout and been asked to post some pics of it and loco i have.  cant figure out how to load pics here.  i cant even find the icon to start it.  any help would be appreciated

thanks
don

pdlethbridge

Don, welcome to the board. If you want to post photos sign up for photobucket.com

Jim Banner

If I may expand on what pd has said, you cannot upload photos directly to this site.  You can, however, link to photos on another site.  If you have your own website, that can be a convenient place to upload your photos and link to them from here.  If you do not have a website to upload to, then sign up at photobucket.com or similar photo storage site and upload your photos there.

To link to a photo, go to 'new post', click on the button that shows a picture in a white frame, and insert the url for you photo where you see the flashing cursor.  You will see something like this in your text:

[*img]http://members.shaw.ca/sask.rail/model-book/stockyard/stockyard.jpg[/img]

except it will not contain any stars *

And when you preview your post and upload it, you will see something like this, which is the photo that I linked to:

For best results, and to download reasonably quickly even for using dial up service, keep your photos on the small size.  The one above is 400 pixels wide by 300 high.

Others will tell you to link only to your own photos or those which you have permission to link to.  I will add to that "please."

We will be watching for your photos.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

jward

jim,
how do you reduce the size of the photo. i take all mine at the highest resolution which i think is something like 2300x3000, or 7 megapixels.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

mf5117

So you have to post pics to your photo bucket . And this site will pic up the link ,and post the pics .ahhhhhummmmm .ok I see ... 

Jim Banner

Jeffery,
If you are using Windows, you probably have a little program called "Paint" as one of the accessories.  If you open your photo in Paint, you can then select "image" then "stretch and skew".  Enter the value 10 in both stretch horizontal and stretch vertical and click okay.  Paint will "stretch" your photo to 10% of its original size.  Finally, save the image as a .jpg under a new name.  Adding -a or -1 to the original name constitutes and new name and helps keep the original and the altered version close together if they are in the same folder.  Finally, upload the altered image to your website or photo storage provider and link to the image's address here on B-man's Board.

The values of 10 shrinks your image to 10% which would be 230 x 300 pixels.  You can use larger or smaller values to suit.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

whatsamatteru

yea, cant figure it out.  i am copying that url thing and pasting it but i always just get this x thing

jonathan

How does this look.

When you mouse over your pics, a drop down will appear.  Select the "IMG" code, right click and copy.  Then paste to your Message draft.  You can hit "Preview" to look at your message as it will appear when posted.

Let me know if I can help in any other way.  I'm not completely savvy on photobucket, but I'm learning.  You can, too. 

Regards,

Jonathan

whatsamatteru

thanks for that, but how did you get my picture, did you get it over photobucket.  didnt realize that was public.

whatsamatteru

ok, now thats directions.  thanks man.  jsut one thing, h ow do i get it bigger.  thanks

jonathan

If you look at your posts above, you will see some lengthy urls.  I simply clicked on them, went to your album, and copied your photo.  Yes, photobucket is a public exchange.  You can lock out an album to make it invisible, if you so choose.  When you post a photo to the forum from photobucket, you are actually pasting a url in this location.  The software grabs the photo and it appears there forever unless you remove it.  If you delete a photo in photobucket, every website in which that photo appears, will disappear.

I will be happy to delete the post with your photo, it you like.  Wasn't trying to invade, merely trying to demonstrate the method.  All this software stuff is giving me a PD headache.

Regards,

Jonathan

jonathan

Ok, as I look at your first two photos, it appears you originally loaded them that size (very small).  Before you load photos into photobucket, you can select what size you would like them to be (bad grammer). 

Anyway,  I tend to load photos pretty large on my album.  If I wish to post them to this forum, I can post them large and this forum's software will automatically shrink them to fit.  However,  I sometimes "preshrink" them, so our dailup friends will not be overloaded.  You lose size and detail, but then everyone gets to look without the ten minute download.

Where is Yampa Bob?  He is the one who taught me all this stuff (ouch my head).

Regards,

Jonathan

PS  If you click on the link at the bottom of my signature line, you have access to all my train photos.  I don't put anything personal on there, just train stuff.  Well... I guess that's personal, too.  But I don't mind sharing.
J