News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Night Photography

Started by ebtbob, July 20, 2009, 09:31:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ebtbob

If you have never had a chance to do night photography and the chance comes along,  take part in that chance.   You need a camera that accepts a shutter cable and a tripod for stability.
          Here is a picture of the EBT's #17,  taken with natural lighting,  no strobes,  etc.

Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

ebtbob

Here is the same engine,  opposite side, illumitated with a strobe system

Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress

Jim Banner

Bob,

Did you use multiple flashes to get the first four or five cars illuminated as well as the locomotive?

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Casey_Jones

Nice photos!

Thank you for sharing

john tricarico

hi ebt

good shots
what camera did you have
and what iso setting did you use

john t   brooklyn ny

ebtbob

Jim,   I did not do the illumination,  but yes,   multiple flashes were and usually are used in night photo sessions.

John T.   I have a Canon EOS Rebel.   To use the shutter cable I have my camera set on the manual mode so I can determine the length of time the shutter is open.  Actual settings,   I am not sure.  These pix were taken almost two years ago.

If you are interested in any more of my photography go to www.rrpicturearchives.net.   On the left side of the home page, is a list of ways to see pictures.   The last option is called Contributor sites.   Click on that and scroll down to my name,   Bob Rule, Jr.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress

pdlethbridge

Bob,  Have you ever worked with O Winston Link?

ebtbob

No,  I never worked with O Winston Link.   I wish I was old enough to have done that when he was taking his great photos in the 50s.   Night photography goes on many times a year.   A man named Peter Lero sets up night shoots on a regular basis.   He did one last year at Strasburg and my son Darryl got a shot that looks like a Pennsy crew,  checking watches before their trip

[imghttp://www.railpictures.net/images/d1/0/1/9/1019.1237606712.jpg][/img]
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress

pdlethbridge

that's a great shot, but to see it move the bracket to the front

ebtbob

Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress

Joe Satnik

Dear All,

Do you know that you can easily enlarge monitor text and photos?

(Firefox and certain versions of IE)

Ctrl +  (enlarge, can be hit multiple times)

Ctrl -   (shrink, can be hit multiple times)

Ctrl 0   (return to normal size)

Some keyboards say "Control".  Use the "Ctrl" key as you would the "Shift" key. 

Hope this helps. 

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

ebtbob

Roger,

Here is another night photo shot by my son Darryl and a Peter Lerro night photo shot at the Pennsylvania Railroad Museum - Strasburg, Pa.
Note the engine to the right is missing its boiler cover,  showing the stay bolts,  etc.      Enjoy!

Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress

ebtbob

Roger,

Here is another night time shot by my son Darryl,   taken at Steamtown,  Pa.

Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress