News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spectrum 4-8-2 Power Source to Driver Wheels

Started by richhotrain, July 21, 2009, 06:35:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

richhotrain

I have a Bachmann Spectrum 4-8-2 engine that I have owned for about 5 years.  I hadn't run it in quite a while until recently.  At first, it jerked around the layout, starting and stopping.  So, I cleaned the wheels and checked to see if there was any dirt or debris between the driver wheels and the copper wipers.

I was shocked to discover that 3 of the 8 copper wipers were missing.  When I removed the plastic cover over the driver wheel assembly, I discovered that the copper wipers were part of a copper sheet that originally contained 8 copper wipers, one for each driver wheel.

I am probably not explaining this very well, but my question is:  how many of the 8 copper wipers are needed to operate properly.  There are three on one side and two on the other.

I plan to contact Bachmann and order a replacement part if necessary.  But, first, I wanted to check as to whether the 5 remaining wipers are sufficient.

Thanks.

Rich

FECfan

On my Mountain One of the wipers went bad, so about six or seven.  But what I would do Is get a whole new set of eight wipers from bachmann.

Jim Banner

When it comes to wheel wipers, the more the better.  A few more on the tender is better still,

Jijm
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

richhotrain

Jim,

I agree, the more, the better.

But, 5 out of 8 seems to be getting the job done.

Would the engine still run with only one copper contact or wiper?

Rich

FECfan

The engine could never run with only one contact, when mine runs onto the turntable, and I forget to turn the turntable on, when only 3 wheel sets are on powered tracks, the entire engine shuts off.

drth2

The more contacts, the better.  But this is really the wrong question.  The question should be "how do we get a reliable design"?  This loco, and the K4 Pacific have this cheesy pickup design.  Bachmann obviously realized this.  Compare this design to the 2-8-0 Spectrum Consolidation design.  Same plastic holder, but a new formulation of the contact strip.  This one actually stands a chance to work.  A+ for this, but an F for not making a retrofit design available that will upgrade the K4's and the 4-8-2's.  I haven't tried it, but the consolidation contact strip might actually fit in the 4-8-2.  This would resolve the problem.

Atlantic Central

"I have a Bachmann Spectrum 4-8-2 engine that I have owned for about 5 years.  I hadn't run it in quite a while until recently.  At first, it jerked around the layout, starting and stopping.  So, I cleaned the wheels and checked to see if there was any dirt or debris between the driver wheels and the copper wipers."

I have heard this complaint before and must point out that I have eight of this partular Bachmann loco and don't consider the wipers to be a "design flaw" by any means.

May I suggest that these are delicate scale operating models, not toys for children or child like use.

Dirt and debris, sounds like a house keeping problem not a design problem to me.

Those wipers did not just "break" from normal operation. Can they get bent from a derailment, yes, rough handling, yes, running on the track, no.

Broken and missing? Sounds like a lot of rough handling to me.

Sheldon

Jim Banner

Run with one contact?  No.  It would connect with only one rail and we need to connect to both of them, one to pick up electricity, the other to return it.  One wheel picking up from each rail but would be erratic.

It is often possible to cut new wipers if you can find thin phosphor bronze sheet.  But adding tender pickups if often easier.  On another thread Jonathan has posted how he made pickups for tender lighting using Kadee #5 centering springs.  Tender pickups can be made the same way.  Have a look at his photo:

That would add 8 pickups on the tender alone.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

lmackattack

this is a very common problem with that loco. those tabs bend so easy and are a real PITA to maintain. As said above Bachmann did the right thing and changed the design after all the issues it presented. My Mountain needs more than half of those tabs to be in good contact or the engine will not run smooth.

Atlantic Central

Quote from: lmackattack on November 24, 2009, 01:05:47 AM
this is a very common problem with that loco. those tabs bend so easy and are a real PITA to maintain. As said above Bachmann did the right thing and changed the design after all the issues it presented. My Mountain needs more than half of those tabs to be in good contact or the engine will not run smooth.

I still have to ask, WHAT bends them so easy? That's like saying the fender on my car bends too easy when I hit a light pole - Don't hit any light poles and the fender won't bend.

Don't handle your Heavy Mountain or K4 like a 6 year old with Lionel and the pickups won't get bent up.

The 2-8-0 design is a little less exposesd but just as fragile. I have had to ajust a few them right out of the box to get all making contact, but again I don't see either design as a problem.

Stop blaming the trains for how you treat them.

Sheldon

lmackattack

what bends them so easy? Its rarely it has to do with handeling the engine. Simply Derail your engine over a switch and you have a 50% chance to bend one of those tab. we all know you cant prevent derails. If that does not bend them wait untill you place it in the box and see what happens when you remove it. Be as carefull as you want but if you use that engine as intended it will happen. The design was a problem and Bachmann did the right thing by fixing it on later models. Fact is, if it was not a issues there would not be a thread about this problem every month and Bachmann would have not changed the design.

Atlantic Central

Imackattack,

Maybe you can't prevent derails, but my trains seldom derail, its called good trackwork. I have never bent a wiper removing or replacing one to/from the box, and, you are mis-informed because the 2-8-0 was designed BEFORE the Heavy Mountain, so the Mountain's design is newer, not something older they later changed.

Each Bachmann model seems to have its own design strengths and weaknesses, and there seems to be little rhyme or reason as to which product has which design regarding wipers, driver springing, etc.

And, I will make one more likely to be politically incorrect comment - just like those of you complaining about the wipers being fragile, there are those who have the same compalint about the wires, but I have never had any problem there either.

In and out of the box? How about take it out, put it together, leave it on the layout. And, learn to be more careful, don't expect a highly detailed model to stand up to handling like a piece of Lionel.

I know lots of people who have not had any problem with their Heavy Mountains.

Again, I don't think it is at all fair here to blame the product or its design.

Sheldon

ABC

I have to agree with Atlantic Central on this one, it just takes careful handling and good trackwork and you will not have any problems.

lmackattack

this is classic!!! :D Sounds like we agree to disagree and im fine with that.