Operational characteristics of the Heisler

Started by ksivils, July 29, 2009, 09:10:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ksivils

I model in On30.  The On30 modelers have long been clamoring for an On30 Heisler.  Bachmann obviously has much of the research and design done for a Heisler in any scale as they have produce on in large scale.

There has been speculation among On30 modelers is that the reason we have not seen an On30 Heisler is that Bachmann has had problems with the operating ability of its geared locomotives, which has proven true in certain situations for the On30 geared locomotives.

Would appreciate it if any large scale Heisler owners would comment on the operating characteristics of their large scale Heisler.

Kevin Strong

Mine is one of my smoothest, most reliable locomotives. If I want a loco to turn on and let trundle around the railroad unattended, the Heisler gets the call.

Later,

K

Jon D. Miller

The CD&StL has had a Heisler on the roster since December 2003.  The locomotive is flawless in its operation.

When first purchased the noise suppression PCBs were removed from each motor. Locomotive converted to battery/RC.  Since that time there has been no requirement for any repairs.  The locomotive is operated on a regular basis.

This is a picture of the Heisller, operating on the PT&GB RR.  It has 30 Bachmann reefers behind the tank.  With those cars plus battery car and caboose it easily handles a long 2% grade on the PT&GB.

I should note that 30 car consists are not usually pulled by the Heisler. The reefer consist was pulled as a test to find out just what the locomotive would handle.  Normally a consist of 8-12 1:20.3 cars are handled by the Heisler.

I would certainly purchase another Heisler. 8)

One of the "Enthusiastic Children"

JD
Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)