Easy cab interiors for E7 and GP38

Started by CandO, July 27, 2009, 04:17:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CandO

Williams by Bachmann locomotives are excellent.
Part of the reason that they are so affordable is because they don't go over board with details. This is one of the reasons that I love them so much. You can modify them to your liking. They are also great runners.

I have a C&O E7 and a C&O GP38. I decided to add cab interiors in the GP38 and in both A units of the E7 set.

Lionel's F3 interiors fit  the E7 and GP38 with little modification. The one for the E7 only needs some filing/sanding to make it fit. There is another F3 interior, from Lionel that fits the GP38 better. The one I put in it has a cylindrical area that fits around the front motor perfectly. The motor is very close to the window and this hides it from view.

I put together an album on photobucket that shows photo of what I did.
Just go to this link> http://s574.photobucket.com/albums/ss182/SunfireGT1996/Cab%20Interiors%20for%20Williams%20by%20Bachmann/
If you click on each picture, in that album, you will see written details and the part numbers for the items I used.

I left the interior of the GP38 silver for photo purposes. I plan on painting it black to blend and disappear.

[/img]

DominicMazoch

Casey_Jones

CandO,

Great photos, thank you for posting them. I agree WBB locomotives are awesome runners.  You can run them into the ground.  I also agree about keeping them simple to keep the cost down.  I do however think it is time to upgrade to a TBIII by now.  The cost should not be an issue.  I would love to have sounds equal to the ERR  sound board. I would also like to have these interiors for our locos from WBB. 

If we could at least have these as an upgrade option that we could install are selves that would be great. 

stubbsO

CandO, How did you order these from Lionel? I've found them on there site, but trying to find anything and being allowed to do it is like pulling teeth from a guppy! What's your secret? Thanks

CandO

stubbsO-
For the E7 it was easy. Someone on the OGR forum posted that interior for and put it in his F3. I figured it could fit an E7 with little modifying. It did.

Finding one for the GP38 was just a guess and I don't mind admitting it. I got lucky. I looked through a long list of cab interiors on Lionel's parts site. I bought about four or five different interiors and hoped that one would work. They don't cost much and the ones that didn't fit just go into my own parts box for latter use. The one in my above photo is a great fit and it hides the motor that is very close to the windshield.

At least now Lionel is trying to post many pictures of the parts. In the future, it should be much easier.

GTBob

CandO---Great post here.

Was looking over some dated threads and ran across this one.  Decided to give the install a try.  Bought the piece(s) from Lionel and wholla---My WBB Chessie GP38 has a cab interior w/ two engineers.  I painted the motor cover and chairs w/ the same yellow as is on the loco.  It turned out great.  Looks as if it was made this way.

Later on, will try the same install on my Williams FP-45 Santa Fe loco.

Thanks again for your posting on "how to do" this install.

Bob  
"If a man does his best, what else is there!"--General George S. Patton Jr.

bigdodgetrain

I never found the cab interiors at lionel, but I did find them at MTH and they fit in my williams F-3.

GTBob

Just installed "Lionel" cab interior w/ engineer & fireman(?) plus motor cover in my WBW FP-45 Santa Fe loco.  A little cutting and trimming of the Lionel piece and some hot glue to hold it in place and I was done.  As w/ my GP-38, the install came out looking great (wish I was smart enuf to post a picture or two, but, I'm not).    Total cost: $15.00 for both engines (S&H was more than the parts :o).

Regards,

GTBob  
"If a man does his best, what else is there!"--General George S. Patton Jr.