News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spectrum 0-6-0 DCC

Started by Frisco, July 27, 2009, 11:30:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frisco

I've had a Spectrum 0-6-0 for years now, it's a great little locomotive, however it's from the first run and not DCC ready. I'm really excited that Bachmann decided to do another run of them, and I'm planning on buying myself one in the near future, http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/products.php?act=viewProd&productId=3184 .
Next to the locomotive it has the DCC equiped symbol, and I recall the announcement saying the same thing, however in the list of fetures both online and in the new catalog it states that the locomotive is DCC ready...
Which one is it?
Thanks

Chris350

I'd like to know if there will be additional road names.  If so which ones might we see and what sort of time table will the release(s) follow?

Update: Duh never mind... Just look higher up the ladder silly Jedi... sometimes I amaze myself.  Others I'm not so sure.   I see a possible yard steamer in my future.....

Jim Banner

Frisco,
I suspect it will be DCC on board.  It looks to me like they just added the DCC on board logo to the old description of the 0-6-0T without noticing that one of the features of the old one was being DCC ready.  I have one of these locomotives and it is a real sweet heart.  It does not pull a great number of cars (neither did the real ones) but it runs as smooth as silk and virtually never stalls.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Pacific Northern

I have one of the first runl engines and it is a terrific little locomotive.

Great slow speed control and the running characteristic is super smooth. Does not pull much but makes a great little switcher.

This engine was the only Spectrum engine that while not DCC ready came with the solding points ready for installing a DCC decoder. Not much room for a decoder but it can be done.

I have not yet installed a decoder but  with the decoders getting smaller and smaller it should be an easy install when the time comes.
Pacific Northern

hotrainlover

I have installed decoders into 2 of these engines.  It is time consuming, but can be done.  I wish I had taken pictures, when I installed them....

Chris350

Quote from: hotrainlover on July 28, 2009, 09:40:23 PM
I have installed decoders into 2 of these engines.  It is time consuming, but can be done.  I wish I had taken pictures, when I installed them....
hmm I'm betting sound is out of the question?

RAM

http://www.digitrax.com/ftp/bachmann060t.pdf        These are good instructions. print them out.

Jim Banner

The instructions RAM refers to are excellent, but a bit outdated.  The Digitrax DZ121 was replaced by the DZ123 which has lately been supplanted by the DZ125.  If you like the low speed performance of this locomotive now, just wait until you try it with BEMF speed control.  This earlier version was certainly not plug and play but the circuit board made it DCC ready.

I would not recommend this locomotive for doing your first DCC installation on, but if you have previous experience, then opening the shell will likely be the hardest part of the job.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

FECfan

Just to Clear the Air, I was in Philadelphia getting repairs done on my USRA Switcher, and I did Ask, It is DCC equipped.

pdlethbridge

I wouldn't recommend it for your tenth installation. It is a bear, especially one handed. But it is doable.