News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Michigan show reveiw

Started by jettrainfan, July 26, 2009, 11:22:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jettrainfan

Well, It was fun and great,to get into detail....

Getting their at 8:30ish, got great parking. i saw the Daylight's tender and was surprised! I thought it left Friday! So, waited in line to get in. 1225 was suppose to run but did not, so Nickle Plate Road 765 ran the day long train. The little river locomotives 1 and 110 i found going backwards. great show! they got hooked up to 1125 and pulled it up slightly to the ladder so people could go to the cab. they rested for a bit. the day long train left with a colorful line of passenger cars(Milwaukee Road, new york central, Ohio central and some commuter coaches from what i remember).  a diesel pulled the 1 hour train to the to the platform. then 110 ran light to the train. #1 then mdae it self at home while waiting for flag coal company#75 repaired the drive a steam engine trip. It go t 2 boxcars and put them so they know how far to go back and forth. #1 stayed steaming in the siding with another 0-4-0. All steamers were steaming,not all moved but were at least steaming. A 4-4-0 replica was moved around on the turn table about every hour after noon. Their were 3 layouts under a tent, O scale, Lego, and Ho scale. all had wonderful scenery. I got a laugh from a rat in a tunnel and one got caught in a mouse trap! they were fake. The miniature Railroad was more transportation style then riding, 2 stations, one at the front end and another at the back. You had to get back in line for a round trip. lots of steamers and diesels of many models and roads. The G scale was all live steam. A British 4-4-0 was slipping and its helper pulling with no problem. They switched models but was still great. The grand ending was N.P.R. 765 coming back from her trip. She has a LOUD Whistle! It was a beautiful sight! They came to the platform and cut her off so she could get ready for the night photos. A diesel had to pull the train up because it was so long, too long for the platform. They had to stop 3 times! It was a great show in all.

hope this gives you an idea, I would go into detail even more but it is hard, i might as well make a book! :o :D well, I'll put a link to the video that i taped when it is up on You tube. Hope you went!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZL7jR1cRb4             

This is how i got my name and i hope that you guys like it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jettrainfan?feature=mhw4
youtube account

jbsmith

I went there too!
On Sunday.
Sadly the PM 1225 was a static display.
The NKP 765 was up and running,,I even got some grease sprayed on my shirt when it passed by. I was about 15 feet or so from the tracks when the crew blew its whistle,,,LOUDEST whistle i ever heard,,deafening when that
close,,,there were hundreds of others there along tracks with me.
The SP 4449 daylight was there,,not running but it was idling, crew would
blast its whistle now and then.
I was surprised just how LARGE those Berkshires and that GS4 are.
Much larger than a typical 18wheel big rig,,the Drive wheels are almost as tall as I am, and I'm 6feet tall!
Can't really appreciate their size until you see them in person.

The 0-4-0s were alive and milling about,,the smell of coal smoke was every place.

The Layout tents were interesting, That Lego layout,,never seen the like before,,it even had a scale sized model of what looked like the Empire State building. The only not Lego part were the rails themselves, the ties were Lego.

The merchant tent, NO bargain hunting here! Full MSRP and no haggling!
I did find a nice custom Accurail Soo Line 40ft boxcar,and bought one for $13.

All in all go to one of these shows if you get the chance, very much worthwhile if you like steam Locos.

One last thing, there was a Southern FP7 there too.

jbsmith

Oh yeah,,It was not just steam and diesel trains there,,all afternoon
there was a B-17 Bomber and a B-25 Bomber constantly flying overhead!
That was pretty cool too!

pdlethbridge

jettrainfan

Quote from: jbsmith on July 27, 2009, 02:15:49 AM
Oh yeah,,It was not just steam and diesel trains there,,all afternoon
there was a B-17 Bomber and a B-25 Bomber constantly flying overhead!
That was pretty cool too!
they were their Sunday?!?! I saw those on Saturday when i went! also a bi-plane...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZL7jR1cRb4             

This is how i got my name and i hope that you guys like it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jettrainfan?feature=mhw4
youtube account

Michigan Railfan

I wish I could've went. But I was in California. Oh well, I've already been to Owosso because I live in Michigan (Metro-Detroit area), but I think all they had was 1225, because they were still constructing the roundhouse. :( Well, it was still fun, and I got to ring 1225's bell. :)
Jbsmith:
I went to Cobo hall a couple years ago for a model train convention. They had a HUGE Lego train layout there. They had things like the Fisher Theater, and by the way, Lego has its own Trains theme. They have engines, sets rolling stock, and track and buildings.