News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Name that Locomotive

Started by BestSnowman, July 29, 2009, 04:56:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BestSnowman

I've got a dummy locomotive I'm trying to identify the model of: http://cid-811d1df10b2b3e61.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Rebuild%20Projects/IMG%7C_1123.jpg

I'm guessing it is an Alco but don't having my train spotting techniques down.
-Matthew Newman
My Layout Blog

bobwrgt

Looks like a AHM GP18. Check ebay and you can probably find more.

Bob

ebtbob

For sure an EMD GP.    7-9-18 not sure.   Wrong style fuel tank for an ALCO
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

GlennW

Most likely a late GP9 or 18. Having 2 large fans in place of smaller ones makes a difference. Having 2 exhaust stacks makes it non-turbo.

Lifelike has been a maker of GP18-GP20's.

BestSnowman

I was way off on the Alco guess, I guess I hadn't seen any high-nose EMD's before this.

Based on the models I've seen on Ebay this is indeed a GP18. Thanks for the help!
-Matthew Newman
My Layout Blog

RAM

I doubt it means anything, but the number it has is a GP9

Dr EMD

It is an AHM GP18 regardless of number is.
If CNW used GP18 it would have been numbered in the 1800's (reflecting its horsepower).

Dr EMD
Electro-Motive Historical Research
(Never employed by EMD at any time)

jward

c&nw's gp18s were 1774-1779. i don't believe c&nw ever used the 1800s for diesels.

when dealing with older locomotives, bear in mind that manufacturers didn't usually take the time to research whether or not a railroad had the particular locomotive they were producing, or if they did what the actual numbers were. tyco, for example, would use the same number for the same type of locomotive, regardless of what railroad is was painted for.

to-day we get much better researched models
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

BestSnowman

Quote from: jward on July 30, 2009, 06:07:18 AM
c&nw's gp18s were 1774-1779. i don't believe c&nw ever used the 1800s for diesels.

when dealing with older locomotives, bear in mind that manufacturers didn't usually take the time to research whether or not a railroad had the particular locomotive they were producing, or if they did what the actual numbers were. tyco, for example, would use the same number for the same type of locomotive, regardless of what railroad is was painted for.

to-day we get much better researched models

Thats for sure, my CNW SDP40 (936) is a prime example, not only did CNW not run SDP40s, #936 was a U30
-Matthew Newman
My Layout Blog

jward

interesting in that athearn had a u30c model, and a u28c which was similar to the very early u3ocs. neither was ever to my knowledge released in c&nw paint.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA