Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Track arrangements

Started by Larry012, April 11, 2024, 09:58:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry012

Hi,
I am getting my grandson started.
Can I connect the basic track oval, delivered with the 00706 Rail Chief, to the E-Z Track Over-Under Figure 8 using a 30 degree crossing track. Or do you have a better solution?
Thanks for your assistance.
Larry

Len

THe 00706 Rail Chief set is HO scale, not O gauge like Williams by Bachmann. You'll be more likely to get an answer asking your question in the HO forum.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

JonJet

The 30-degree crossing can be difficult sometimes...depending on available layout space.  In order to "bring it back" into alignment for parallel tracks requires (4) 15-degree sections. (I have a 30-degree crossing on the N Scale portion of My own layout)

You might want to consider scrapping the crossover idea and simply use the Over/Under as an outer loop - flip the power connection on one loop and DC trains will run in opposite directions.

Bachmann EZ Track is designed to do some amazing things if You explore all the options...and You can actually "create" an exact length track section using a longer section if needed.

jward

The track is compatible, but you may run into problems using the piers. As shown on the box they result in a grade of over 5 1/2%, which is extremely steep and beyond the limits I use when designing my own layouts. WHat this means to you is that your locomotives, particularly steam locomotives, will not pull much on the upgrade section. I have a significantly less steep 4% grade on my personal layout, and the USRA 0-6-0 found in many Bachmann train sets will only pull 3 cars uphill. The diesels fare a bit better on the grade. Using the pier set in the up and over means your locomotives will pull even less on the uphill section.

As an alternative to the pier set, you could use Woodland Scenics inclines under the track to lessen the grade, OR use two Bachmann pier sets, with shims under alternate piers to cut the grade in half. Either one will lessen the grade, and increase your locomotives pulling power on that section. But it comes at a cost. By cutting the slope percentage in half, you double the length of the upgrade section. If you have the room to do this, it will work much better for you.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Terry Toenges

This is with a 30 degree crossing. I might be misunderstanding what you are trying to do.
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

Here it is without the sidings. It takes four 1 1/4" straights in addition to the  18" radius curves. It can be done on a 4' x 7' board.
After the crossing, use five 18" radius. Then one 1 1/4", then one 18" radius, then one 1 1/4" then five 18" radius on each side.
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

Here is an oval connected to the over and under with a crossover.
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

Here it is folded around the elevated inside. This is 5' x 8'.

Feel like a Mogul.

jward

I assumed he was talking about an up and over design like this.

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Terry Toenges

I didn't think about doing it on the side that way.
Feel like a Mogul.

jward

Quote from: Terry Toenges on June 09, 2024, 01:24:13 PMI didn't think about doing it on the side that way.

I'll be honest. I didn't think about this plan the way you did either. That's what makes these forums great. Everybody has a different perspective and we can all learn from each other.

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA