News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Switches

Started by rjcarty, November 03, 2010, 02:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjcarty

Every time I change the direction of my 2 switches, the train derails.  I have read several accounts on the internet complaining about Bachmann switches.  What can I do to get these switches to function correctly?

simkon

Sharpen the points and check the guage.

James in FL

Hi rjcarty,

I will surmise you are using the B'mann turnouts, simply because you are posting on the B'mann forum.

You don't state the problem is with the loco, or rather the rolling stock, you also don't state which way the "train" is traveling through the turnout.
This information would help us, help you.
Please include it in your next post.

Let's start with the easy stuff first.

Trouble shooting turnout de-railments 101;

#1 Wheel gauge:

Check that every wheel set on both your loco and every piece of your rolling stock is in proper gauge and clean.
To do this, you will need either a NMRA gauge or a decent set of calipers.
Check and adjust as necessary.
If you don't have either one of these, get one, and then proceed from here.

Do you have the electrical power to the turnouts working?
By this, I mean is the power hook-up working correctly?
Observe the turnout (points) pushed tightly against the stock rails in both positions when you activate the control box position.
If you're not powering the turnouts and relying on just the manual position (slider) of the point rail against the stock rails, you're looking for problems. The "spring" is not strong enough to reliably hold position. Again a bit more information here would be helpful.
Look at this thread;
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,8236.0.html

Do not run against the points, there is no cure for this, other than not to do it.

Report back and we will go from there.
Good Luck

rjcarty

Thanks James.  Yes I am using Bachmann turnouts.  The engine is derailing as it goes through the turnout.  It appears to be at where the frog joins back with the track as the engine is making the turn onto the curved portion of the track.

I do have a power problem.  When I activate the switch, the train stops.  However, it appears that the turnout itself is responding correctly.  I will read the thread you suggested.  Thanks again.

rjcarty

James, two other questions.  First, can you send me the instructions/pictures you mentioned in your post to Boxman?  Second, what do you mean when you say not to run against the points?

James in FL

I've got to work second shift today so I don't have much time to help this morning. I will return to the forum after 11pm tonight and check back then.
In the mean time-
B'mann EZ track turnouts are what are called "power routing".
This means that power will only flow in the direction the points are thrown.
Look at this thread and move your terminal track to the proper position:

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,11953.0.html

and here;
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,8183.0.html

As far as "running against the points";
This is when the loco is traveling through the turnout (coming down through the top of the "Y", from either leg, and the points are thrown against (opposite) the direction of travel.

Turnout tweeking here;
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,11346.0.html

Pics of the internal workings of the turnout;

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,8792.0.html

For now, remove all your rolling stock and let's just work with the loco.
Get your power worked out and read all the above posted thread links. Let's us know where you are with this and then I'll post back later tonight.

Good Luck

James in FL

Did you get your power routing worked out?
Are you still having problems traversing the turnouts?
Wheel gauge?
Proper wheel gauge is paramount in running reliability.
Have you checked your track gauge?
Proper track gauge goes "hand in hand" with proper wheel gauge.
This is the first step in troubleshooting.

Get your eyes down low and run the loco very slowly through the turnout, if it stalls then manually push it through until it runs on its own power.
You may see some lifting, of the wheel, off the rail head when the wheel flange hits the frog.
Is this happening?
If so, this is an easy fix.

If all these potential problems have been checked and adjusted and you're still having problems with the turnouts, I can post a "step by step" adjustment of the rack and pinion gears to be sure they are in the proper alignment.
Minor surgery, easy to do, ~ 10 - 15 min. fix.
Speculations and assumptions (on either your, or my, part) have no real place in troubleshooting.
We need to find the root cause of the problem. Once we know this (root cause), we can work out a solution.
Need answers to the questions before I can offer anything more.
Let us know where you are with this.

Albert in N

RJ,  I can share your frustration.  I tried Bachmann E-Z track and turnouts (switches) on my small layout.  This included a simple passing siding.  Entering the siding to turn left, my body-mounted coupler engines (FM-16-44, B30-7, and others) would derail the following freight car every time.  I fitted, filed and leveled with derailments continuing.  I replaced the turnouts with new E-Z turnouts.   Of course I had a straight piece of track between the curve and the turnouts.  The only way that my trains would not derail entering the siding, was to pull them with truck-mounted coupler engines (GP-40, F-9, U-36B, GP-50).  Even my Bachmann 4-4-0 would derail and the 2-6-2 Prairie derailed about 40% of the time.  These E-Z turnouts have a sharp full 11 inch radius turn.    I gave up and replaced the E-Z track with Kato Unitrack and have no more problems.  Until Bachmann makes individual number 6 turnouts and half sections of curved track, use Kato or Atlas.  (Kato is power routing turnouts and Atlas has live non power routing turnouts).  The half section track pieces are also handy for making an extended figure 8, but Bachmann does not make half curves.   :-\

rjcarty

James, I was away over the weekend and just got back on line.  I appreciate your taking the time to work with me.  I will look over your suggestions and let you know what happens.  Thanks.