News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Unable to change Loco Address...

Started by Logger Mike, February 28, 2016, 03:56:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Logger Mike

I'm just now getting to play with my Spectrum, 70-ton 3-Truck Climax w/Sound, which I bought 2011.  Have setup Programming Track for my Digitrax Super Chief, which has the DCS100 command Station.  I know that it works, because when I use Loco Address of 03, the default, he engine responds, as well as the sound.....whistle, bell chug, etc.....but I can't read the CV's ( I et a "fail" on the read back.  I know it's pinging as I can hear it thru the speaker.  And I know my programming track works, as I've re-addressed a 2-Trk Bachmann Climax just before it.

This is my 1st Loco w/sound, so it begs the question....does this failure to right the addresses have to do with the Tsunami Decoder?....my 2-Turk doesn't have sound....

Thanks for the input in advance.

Regards,
Mike :-\
Logger Mike

Hunt

Quote from: Logger Mike on February 28, 2016, 03:56:03 PM

....does this failure to [write] the addresses have to do with the Tsunami Decoder? . . .

Yes --  the Digitrax DCS 100 requires a Programming Track Booster.

Logger Mike

Hunt, thanks for the reply......This is my first foray into Both Bachmann Sound decoders and DCC...so the questions now is, what is the Programming Track Booster, and where does one get it?

Thanks again,

Mike
Logger Mike

bapguy

You can use the Sountraxx booster PTB100. I use the Digitrax PR3 with a 16V power supply. Digitrax has the PR3 Xtra which comes with a 14V power supply.   This allows me to use Decoder Pro which is free. Read up on both.    Joe
http://www.digitrax.com/products/computer-control/pr3xtra/
http://jmri.sourceforge.net/

Logger Mike

Thanks Bapguy..........I'll check them out.

Mike
Logger Mike

jward

i have a digitrax zephyr dcs51. for me to program Bachmann and atlas dcc locomotives, i have a 1000 ohm resistor that i soldered alligator clips to, that i jumper across the rails of the programming track. this allows me to read back and program all cvs in these decoders. you might want to try this yourself. a $2 workaround may save you a lot of money by making the programming booster unnecessary. if it doesn't work you are only out $2,
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Logger Mike

I did manage to get some instructions from Digitrax a little bit ago, and I'll try them 1st, and if successful, will post those links here to help out......IF NOT, then I'll give this a try aslo.

Thanks,

Mike
Logger Mike

Hunt

Quote from: jward on February 29, 2016, 01:39:14 PM
i have a digitrax zephyr dcs51. for me to program Bachmann and atlas dcc locomotives, i have a 1000 ohm resistor that i soldered alligator clips to, that i jumper across the rails of the programming track. this allows me to read back and program all cvs in these decoders. you might want to try this yourself. a $2 workaround may save you a lot of money by making the programming booster unnecessary. if it doesn't work you are only out $2,

Logger Mike,

A 1000 Ohm, ΒΌ Watt resistor laid across the programming track is required for CV read and programming  a non-sound Bachmann (Lenz based) decoder used with a Digitrax Zephyr (DCS50) or Zephyr Xtra (DCS51).

The resistor is useless with SoundTraxx built decoders used with Digitrax DCS 100.

Logger Mike

A DCS 100 is what I have....and like I posted initially, I know my programming track did work, as I was able to readdress the 50T, 2-Trk Climax from Bachmann....Digitrax instructions is having me try ops mode....will update shortly.
Logger Mike

Hunt

SoundTraxx Decoder Addressing Restriction --
When using OPS Mode, a SoundTraxx decoder (Tsunami or Sound Value) will not allow you to change the type of address currently in use. In other words, the decoder will ignore a change from a short address to another short address or from a long address to another long address.

Workaround is to program short address to a long address. Then program from the long address to a short address.

Logger Mike

Well, per there instructions, that's what I "tried" to do.....made up a 4-digit address- 1776-, changed cv 17 & 18 per the cv calculator on Digitrax site, then tried changing cv29=038.....results are that the loco won't respond to the new 4-digit address, AND NOW, I've lost the 2-digit default.....we even tried changing cv29=34......still no results.  All I have is a $400.00 loco sitting on the track, just huffing.....not happy right now.....was under the impression that all the companies had this crap worked out...... >:(
Logger Mike

Hunt

Try
use Direct Mode on the programming track
Program CV 01 to 03
CV 29 to 06

Can you now run and control locomotive using address 03?

Hunt

Quote from: Hunt on February 29, 2016, 11:44:27 PM
Try
use Direct Mode on the programming track
Program CV 01 to 03
CV 29 to 06

Can you now run and control locomotive using address 03?

Wait -- before you try the above

Try to run you locomotive with 4-digit address of 0003

Because   

End user Programming Address
CV, programming sequence is required.
First CV 17, then CV 18 and last CV 29
For address 1776
CV 17 = 198
CV 18 = 240
CV 29 = 038

If the programming sequence was not followed, then the CV 17 and 18 were not changed and the only thing that changed was CV 29.

Logger Mike

That's exactly the numbers I used, and the sequence...over and over and over....Loco still doesn't respond...I even did a hard shut down a time or two in addition to the Power Off, Power On at the ends of each set of sequence where Digitrax said to just power off/on to 'set' the new cv's.at this point I'd like to just reset to default, but I can't even do that.

going to try and call Bachmann today.....since this obviously isn't correct OR the decoder is bad.  Like I said it just sits there 'chuffing' LIKE IT DOES WHEN YOU FIRST APPLY POWER.

Did try 0003 too..nothing

I even tried new different addresses with different cv's.

didn't try the DM on program track...........and my Throttle doesn't read AD1 or cv01...Lowest I can get is AD2 or 0002.

not happy.....
Thanks for the help.
Logger Mike

Bucksco

Sounds more like a call to Digitrax is in order...