my train doesn't seem to be getting a good connection

Started by aerodave, January 03, 2010, 11:34:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aerodave

My ho scale electric bachman train has been doing great for a long time. I have about 100 feet of track that encircles the room. I recently bought a steam locomotive with smoke and it ran fine on my DCC system. However recently both the deisel locomotives and steam loco is running like it is not getting a good connection, slowing and speeding up constantly in a jerky type motion. I took out sections of the track and made a little circle of track but it still did it. My diesels are DCC compatable but the steam locomotive is not. However it ran just fine on the system for at least a week after buying it. Any suggestions?? Please advise if possible. David

rich1998

Always start by cleaning the track and wheels. the smoke does not help at all.

Lex

Guilford Guy

Alex

full maxx

will regular isopro alcohol work like what is in the medicine cabinet 
look up FullMaxx1 on youtube or check the blog for the lastest updates  www.crumbsinmycouch.com

jward

yes it will. goo gone will also work, but be sure to wipe the residue off the tracks when you are done. i have heard of others using wahl hair clipper oil and several other things to clean track.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

pdlethbridge

With 100' of track, how many wires / blocks do you have?

ABC

Quote from: pdlethbridge on January 04, 2010, 10:47:26 AM
With 100' of track, how many wires / blocks do you have?
-AKA feeder wires, you should try to have about 10 evenly spaced feeders.

pdlethbridge

jerryl

If your steam engine is not DCC compatable & you are running it on DCC you will probably burn up the motor.   Have you run the engines seperately? & do they both act the same? Seems it has to be in your controller if you cleaned the track.  Are you using sectional track & are you depending on the connectors to transmit power. If so clean the connections between the track.   Jerry