News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2-8-0

Started by johnar1, May 27, 2007, 10:57:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnar1

//
WHY IS THE HEAD LIGHT ON THE 2-8-0- SO DIM?  I HAVE THE ON E WITH SOUND TRAXX DECODER AND SOUND.  I PROGRAMED THE HEAD LIGHT ACCURATELY AND THEY ARE STILL DIM.  DOES ANYONE KNOW WHATS GOING ON?

MarcF

Notice the same thing on my 2-8-0 tsunami Bachmann.  Short of tearig it apart to mesure voltage we'll have to wait and see what they answer us here.  It seems to be an LED by the looks of it.

SteamGene

Steam locomotives ran with the headlight off in daylight.  It will be bright enough if you turn th room lights off.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

BillD53A

The light source is in the smokebox.  The headlight casting on the smokebox front has a clear plastic light 'pipe' in it, which leads back into the smokebox. 
Some of my locos have bulbs in the headlights, most have MV products lenses and are not lit.   The use of headlights in the daytime became mandatory in the 1950's.  Some large roads began to use daytime lights earlier, with the practice becoming more common in the later years.  As Gene said, most steam locos would not have used their lights in the daytime.

Hoople

I was wondering the same thing with my 2-8-0 w/ sound.
-Hoople-

Modeling UP, SP, and D&RGW in colorado between 1930 and 1960.

GIVE US HARRIMAN STEAMERS BACHMANN!

Stephen Warrington

I got a first run 2-8-0 with a nice headlight and runs very smooth.The new one with DCC I am not impressed with very dim headlight and overly stiff wires between tender and loco once I convert it to a ICRR 2-8-0 the Decoder is going in the trash so maybe it will start at less than 4 volts.

Stephen