News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

bachmann 060

Started by antfc, March 11, 2014, 03:24:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerrys HO

There are some tabs on the front of the shell by the smoke box and cylinders. Use a small flat blade screw driver and wedge between the cylinder and frame and wiggle the shell off. You may be able to see the tabs if you have a bright enough light.
Sometimes sliding the shell forward will help also.

Jerry

richg

Few years ago I had a couple older 0-6-0 with Vandy but gave away the locos to someone here. Still have a Vandy shell.
I remember a screw under the front of the loco to remove.
The diagram shows a screw labelled, 3872 screw. Fits up into the boiler saddle. Lift the front of the shell up. Good chance the decoder is soldered to some tabs like the 0-6-0T.
In case you did not look at the diagrams, below is the one for the 0-6-0 with Vandy tender and smoke. No decoder shown.
Even then, the shell might be a tight fit. My 4-6-0, the shell fit really tight.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/50701.pdf

Rich

antfc

Hey Jerry, that did it...however, cannot get the entire shell off due to the decoder holding it back. The pcb is buried in the frame, so for now I will leave it alone. Thanks for your help, and Rich too.
Tony

richg

Quote from: antfc on March 11, 2014, 07:01:22 PM
Hey Jerry, that did it...however, cannot get the entire shell off due to the decoder holding it back. The pcb is buried in the frame, so for now I will leave it alone. Thanks for your help, and Rich too.
Tony

Tony, take some photos for others here. You will need a photo bucket account to post the photos here.
Others will have questions in the future.
Jonathan ahd done this loco but I suspect he is not around right now.

Rich

Jerrys HO

antfc

Quotehowever, cannot get the entire shell off due to the decoder holding it back. The pcb is buried in the frame, so for now I will leave it alone

Funny that's what I found and did. What a STUPID design. Like Rich said most are in the tender, why not this one?

Jerry

richg

You might have to gently pry the PC board out of the shell if it is not held in with a screw.
Boy, this thread sure needs some photos. Hope you can do some.
I can see more will be interested in this loco.
You might try searching the forums for 0-6-0 if the project is getting to you.

Rich

Jerrys HO

Rich,

The problem is the decoder's wire go through the cab. The only way to remove the shell is cut the wires or try and put a grove in the shell. I don't think jonathan had one with the decoder installed this way that I can recall. I had went through almost every post.

Jerry

antfc

Rich, I took a look at the TCS site and they have a 060T, and it shows the pcb on top of the frame...my pcb is inside the frame. And yes, should have been in the tender. I will try to take some photos...once again, thank you all for your help...much appreciated.
Tony

antfc

Jerry, might not be a bad idea, cut wires, take shell off, buy new decoder, splice wires with heat shrink tubing and go from there. Hmmmmm...ok will try it soon.
Tony

richg

I have the 0-6-0T but no idea on how the 0-6-0 with Vandy would have a decoder. No doubt similar as there is more room in the loco now that there is no more pancake motor.
I am sure you can see everything right now.
Are there two what looks like green resistors?
There might be some yellow blob capacitors attached somewhere. Maybe the motor leads. Those have to go. Many decoders do not work very well at times with those caps. Most remove the caps for DCC.

Rich

richg

If you like to keep everything the same for wire colour, buy a pack of NMRA decoder wires. Most of the basic colours and you can get the same colours in shrink tube for the decoder wires.
Don't get exited about wiring up and trying with a couple bare wires hanging out. I belong to a bunch of forums and have seen where some did that. A bare wire touched something it should not have and, poof, about a hundred dollars down the drain. Not trying to talk down to you but don't forget the kid inside.

Rich

Doneldon

Quote from: Jerrys HO on March 11, 2014, 07:19:43 PM
The problem is the decoder's wire go through the cab. The only way to remove the shell is cut the wires or try and put a grove in the shell.

Jerry-

Can you just put a single cut (use a sharp blade, NOT a saw) without leaving a kerf so you can let the wire out of captivity and then put it back in its restraint? I believe the cut line would be nearly invisible. And having it tucked down between the loco's apron and the tender would guarantee that no one would ever notice it.
                                                                                                                                                                                -- D

antfc

Hey Rich, when I lifted the shell as far as it would go, there is no pcb on top of frame...it is inside frame, all I could see was a little piece of green of the pcb. Will have to take frame apart to get to it. Nice design huh??? Maybe I could extend wires to reach tender, and install decoder there. Maybe I should put this loco on a shelf for display only. LOL
Thanks again,
Tony

richg

Quote from: antfc on March 11, 2014, 07:46:14 PM
Hey Rich, when I lifted the shell as far as it would go, there is no pcb on top of frame...it is inside frame, all I could see was a little piece of green of the pcb. Will have to take frame apart to get to it. Nice design huh??? Maybe I could extend wires to reach tender, and install decoder there. Maybe I should put this loco on a shelf for display only. LOL
Thanks again,
Tony

This is getting better with every post.

Rich

rogertra

Quote from: antfc on March 11, 2014, 07:46:14 PM
Thanks again,
Tony

Tony.

A better idea, I think, is to have a scrap line of retired locomotives.

I model 1958, a time when many roundhouse etc. had lines of retired steam awaiting their fate.

I have a scrap line that I populate with older plastic steam, those made before the introduction of the Spectrum 2-8-0, which were, generally, poor runners as well as poorly detailed.  Somewhere in my junk box(es) I'm sure I have a 20 plus year old Bachmann 0-6-0 switcher awaiting removal of its motor and gears, so it's easily towed, and in need of a little rusting up.  I already have an old Bachmann 0-6-0T that died years ago due to the Zamac chassis disintegrating.  It's the last one in the line shown in this photo of my current scrap line, up by the end of the spur.

Cheers.

Roger.