News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Which Decoder

Started by JHass, December 04, 2007, 10:00:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JHass

I have recently ordered a Bachmann Spectrum 2-10-0 Russian Decapod Susquehanna #2461 Item No: 81707.  It is described as DCC ready.  I need to buy a decoder.  I am planning to buy a Bachman decoder, but not sure if I need the one with the wire harness or the 8 pin plug.  Also the Bachman decoders are described as "Standard".  Is there such thing as a "Spectrum" decoder?  What decoder can someone recommend for me.  Also, how difficult will it be to install this decoder.

Thanks,

Jon

JHass

Also, I ordered the EZ Command DCC.  Will I be able to use the EZ Command with the decoder that I buy and install.  I read somewhere that you can't program a decoder with the EZ Command. 

Jake

No, there is no spectrum series Decoder. The locomotive will require the 8-pin plug version, even so, if you aren't sure about another engine, just buy the one with the plug, as it can always be cut off. And no, you cannot program a decoder with the E-Z Command, you can only change the address, for a more comprehensive system, I would recommend a Digitrax Zephyr. (Note, if you need to program a Bachmann Decoder with a Digitrax Command station, you must put a 1000 ohm resister across the rails.)

Hope this helps! ;D
Co Admin/Founder of the North American Narrow Gauge Modelers!
http://www.getphpbb.com/phpbb/northamericanna.html
www.myspace.com/vfb1210

JIMMY!! HAFF AR LODE JUST DROPPED LOOS!!!

Jim Banner

There is no such thing as a "Spectrum Decoder."  The term "standard" in this case means it is NMRA compliant and will work with any brand of DCC command station.  There are, however, decoders with more features than the Bachmann decoder.  Unfortunately, these features cannot be programmed by the E-Z DCC Commander.  The latter can program only two things - two digit addresses and normal forward direction (which end of the locomotive is considered 'front'.)  This simplicity is what makes the system easy to operate.       

Silent decoders, which do not cause the locomotive to make a humming or buzzing sound, require removing capacitors on the adapter board.  Sound decoders require installing a speaker as well.  Adding cab light, work lights and/or classification lights will require more wiring if you want to install them.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

JHass

Ok, so if I'm understanding, if I buy a Bachmann decoder, I will be able to program an address and forward direction (no reverse?).  So are there any other options to get the decoder programmed to run in reverse and control the headlight?

Seems like I'm better off buying the DCC equipped loco if I've got no way to program a decoder.

the Bach-man

Dear J,
Our decoder will do what you want. The limitations in programming are with the EZ Command, which will run ten addresses and control up to eight functions. If you want to change CVs, you'll need a more advanced system, like our Dynamis.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Jim Banner

The normal forward direction defines which end of the locomotive moves forward when you set the throttle to forward.  Diesels are often run in pairs, with the second locomotive pointing in the opposite direction to the first.  Not much use having a tug-o-war with both locomotives moving forward (away from each other) so you reprogram the second locomotive to run in reverse when the controls say forward.  This also means it runs forward when the controls say reverse.  Then both locomotives can work together.  Of course, this includes going forward or backward depending on the setting of your direction control. 

Controlling the headlight/reverse light requires no programming on your part.  It is already built into the decoder.  In the simplest (easiest) case, all you need to program are address and normal forward direction. 

Do not confuse programming with operating!  Programming involves adjusting the decoder internally to determine how it responds to signals sent to it by your command station.  Operating the locomotive involves using the speed, direction and other controls to send those signals to the decoder.

Bottom line, if all you want to do is run the locomotive forward and backward at various speeds and be able to turn on headlight or reverse light as appropriate to the direction, then the Bachmann decoder will do just fine.   
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.