Problems Programming Engine Adddresses With Bachmann E Z Command

Started by lwmlwm44, February 08, 2009, 02:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lwmlwm44

Howdy.........have had my Bachmann EZ Command unit for about 2 months now and so far very satisfied with it.   I had 2 engines running on it under separate addresses with no problems programing them.

I recently purchased 2 new Proto 2000 engines and also programed them in under their own addresses which went fine.   Trouble is I wanted to add a second engine under address 1 so I could run the 2 engines in conjunction with one another.    No luck, the second engine would not change addresses.   I tried 3 more times with no luck.    Then I tried to change one of the other engines to a new unused address and no luck.

I am following instructions, pressing the currentl engine address no. and the stop buttom at the same time waiting for the  power light to blink and then releasing them at the same time, then pressing the new address button and when I release it it lights up and then I press the stop button to exit the programming feature.    No luck in getting any engines to program to the new address.

Has anyone else had this issue is there a way to correct the problem myself or do I need to send it in to be serviced by Bachmann.    I bought the unit about 6 months ago and it is still in warranty.

THanks for any assistance anyhone  can offer regarding this.

I am running the engines on a test oval 4 feet wide by 8 feet long outer loop with 2 crossover swtiches going into a inner loop a bit smaller, until I get the rest of the track laid out.

Thanks

Larry

SvFiat

Are the other engines also on that track when you try to reprogram the new addresses? Try putting just one engine on the track and program them one at a time.

Sounds like they got confused when you tried to program the second engine to a used address.

Have Fun

lwmlwm44

i only have the one engine on the track when trying to change the address to it.    THe unit had been working fine.........originally had 2 engines programed on address 1 and 3, changed the engine 3 to address 2 and then all engines removed from the track and then put engine 3 on the track and programed it to address 4.   i then put engine 4 on the track which was the one I wanted to add to address 1  and that is when it hung up.

After that with only one engine at a time on the track I found out I couldn't change  the addresses on any of them.

All the features work fine for each engine...........sound, lights, horn and whistles.

Just that I can't seem to change the addresses.

Larry

Yampa Bob

The instruction manual is in error.  Do not push the current address button and the stop button at the same time.  Push and hold the current address button, then push and release the stop button. Then release the current address button.

The light will blink rapidly, letting you know you are in program mode. Push the desired address button, the loco will move slightly indicating it has accepted the new address.  Now the light will blink slowly, push stop button to exit programming mode.

If the light is not blinking rapidly, you are not in programming mode.

If you still have difficulties, refer to the bottom of page 3 in the manual,  "Programming .....previously assigned addresses".  Sometimes, due to a short or interruption of track current, a decoder may change its address to an unknown number. Using the method in this section, you are putting the controller in program mode, but nothing happens until you place the loco on the tracks.

BTW, always turn off power to the EZ Command controller before placing or removing a locomotive.  Best way is to add a switch controlled power strip on side of the layout, and plug the wall wart into the strip.  Of course, if you are using the "unknown addess" method you have no choice but to CAREFULLY place the loco on the powered track without creating a short.

EZ Command is a very forgiving controller, I use one and thoroughly enjoy it.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

lwmlwm44

I also enjoy my Bachmann EZ Command and have had no issues with it up till now.   I have programmed before with no problems and the light does blink showing I am in program mode when pressing the address button and the stop button at the same time.   If the manual is in error why doesn't Bachmann put a page in the Command instructions or a insert stating a change in programing.   My bench is in the country and won't be able to try your approach of programming for a few more days when I get back down there.

TO be honest with you I have never noticed the engine to move slightly forward when programming.............even on successful programing events.........maybe the movement is very slight and I just didn't notice it.

I do notice that when I press the new address button it doesn't blink or come on until I release the new address button.......then the red light for that address comes on steady......I don't know if this is correct or not.

One other thing I don't know if it has anything to do with it or not is maybe the track is not getting a strong enough signal.    Like I said, when I run a train all features work well............even when running 2 different ones at the same time on separate addresses.    The loop I am running is a oval about 8 feet long and 4 feet wide, there is a second loop in the middle connected to it via 2 DCC controlled crossovers switches made by Bachmann.   The inner loop is about 7 feet long and 3 feet wide.   I have only one power connector feeding the track for these loops.    Would it be possible that I need to another another power connector opposite the one hooked up now to even out the electric signal to the track   An alternative would be to make the loop smaller...........just one outer loop and no inner loop or DCC switches hooked on.

Again, I am running just one engine at a time on the track no other engines are on the track at all.

Thaks for all the tips

Larry

lwmlwm44

Forgot to mention not for sure if the lite is blinking rapidly or slowly at any given time in the programming process.     I do know it blinks but didn't notice if it blinks slowly before hitting the stop button and exiting programming mode.

Larry

Yampa Bob

Yes, the movement is very slight, sometimes barely noticeable but you will hear it.

I don't know what brand of decoder is in your Proto locomotives. Someone else may want to comment on any workaround required for the decoders. I only use Bachmann, Digitrax and Soundtraxx decoders, never had a problem with any of them.

If you have the DVD that came with your EZ Command, take a look at it, the DVD has the correct instructions.

Quick review and an added note, run the loco a ways to verify the current address.
1.  Push and hold the current address button.
2.  Push and release the stop button. Release the current address button. The stop light will not start flashing rapidly until you release the current address button.
3.  Push the desired address, (that address light will come on and stay on) the loco will move slightly, then the stop light will flash more slowly. 
4.  Push stop button to exit programming.

To develop a "cadence", it would be push/hold, push/release, release, push, pause, push.  Forward march!  8)

Good luck

WGL

I couldn't program a DCC locomotive to an address with EZ Command following the manual, & I didn't have the DVD.  I e-mailed the seller, & he found the DVD.  Viewing it enabled me to program 2 Spectrum locos & 2 Intermountain ones (F7A-B in consist).  As Bob said, the manual is wrong & the DVD has the correct instructions.  Besides that, the DVD shows how, which is clearer than just being told how.

lwmlwm44

Will try programming the engines later this week when at the lake using the method you have described.

I have 5 DCC engines and not sure what type of decoders are in them.  4 are Proto 2000 and  one  Bachmann.   All have sound.

Like I said, I programmed the engines in the past using the instructions in the manual with no problems.   Only changing the factory set address from 3 to something else.   I have the DVD and will also view it again.   

Hopefully this will straighten things out and won't have to send the unit back to Bachmann.............would hate having to not run my trains during its absence.

Happy Model Railroading to All

Larry

Rangerover

Try this trick, lay a 1K resistor across the track and then proceed to program your loco. When I came back to the hobby my LHS guy told me to lay a couple feet of track for programming. I insulated 3 feet of track with gaps and power up only that section when I program. Not sure if it's necessary, but it works for me along with using the resistor!

Jim Banner

When you are following the directions on the top of page 3 of your E-Z Command manual, are you remembering to active the locomotive by running it for a short distance?  This is important as it forces you to select the present address of the locomotive and confirm that it really is the present address by running the locomotive.  If I understand correctly, the present address of the locomotive that you want to reprogram is 4.

In the next step, are you remembering to press and hold the present address (4 in your case) while pressing and releasing the stop button?  Pressing 3 at this time will work only if your decoder is set to address 3, as new ones usually are.

I am guessing that your past successful experience is misleading you into pressing and holding button 3 while pressing the stop button.  This worked in the past because you were programming new decoders, each with a present address of 3.  Once you reprogrammed them, their current addresses became something else.

A separate programming track really is the way to go.  All you need is a connector/rerailler section of E-Z Track plus one or two additional straight sections.  When you want to program, unplug your E-Z Command from your layout and plug it into your programming track.  This is much, much easier than removing all your locomotives, lighted cars, etc. from the layout and having to replace them afterwards.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

lwmlwm44

Larry here......update on my adventures in programming addressess.   Thanks to the steps Yampa BOb gave in his comments and to others, I was able to successfully program my engines to their new addresses.

One thing I did encounter was that when I was programming the engines is that I had 2 engines on the track.   One was assigned address 1 while the other one was assigned address 3.   I ran the engine on address 3 and then programmed it to address 2.   When I then clicked on address 2 to try it out, the engine I was changeing successfully changed to address 2 and in addition the engine on address 1 was also changed to address 2........both engines began running.    DIdn't expect this at all.........in the past I thought I was able to change one engine without it effecting another engine I had on the track that was under a different address.

I know one member suggested a separate piece of track used just for changing addresses so that you wouldn't have to remove all your engines from the main track when doing this.

Anyway, addresses are changing good..................just have to make sure all other engines are removed from the track otherwise their addresses get changed also.    Not a big deal...............don't see a big need for changing a engines address all that often anyway.    Once it is assigned it should be almost a permanent thing..............at least in my case.

Again thanks to all members for your posts and helpful suggestions.......this is a grand group to belong to.

Larry

Yampa Bob

Hi Larry
Glad you got it all worked out. The issue of a loco on the track changing address while programming another one is common, that's why we recommend a separate programming track.  But as you say, once you have them all programmed it's no big deal.