News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Yard Boss set .....Way to Go Bachmann!

Started by James Hail, July 14, 2009, 10:55:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James Hail

Just picked up a Sealed Yard Boss set for under 50 bux.....(yea ebay)

This is my little review of the set.

The cars look nice,Metal wheels a big plus,the new couplers work and look much better than Rapidos.

The little loco (new run of 0-6-0)runs great and after a hour or so on the tracks and a slight lube job its amazing how well it will crawl....on 2.5 to 3 volts.Stalls around 2 volts.(analog meter hooked to track as loco was running)

Smooth and quiet engine.

There were/are a few issues with the tender pickup,The wheel wipers were binding the wheels.....so i fiddled with it for a bit and its rolling now.

It may be a issue running slow through turn outs ..if the power is intermittent from the tender.

The tender coupler sits just about half a knuckle too high....though it stays coupled and the tender looks level.

Overall,I am impressed with how far Bachmann has improved their line of train sets and Standard line Locos..

Nice work guys!

The track (EZ) is great for setting up a loop on the table or for the Christmas Tree ect...Great for kids too.

The solid state speed controls are sweet....I like them allot better than the wire wound resistor types....

And i found a trick to help quiet down the track noise...electrical tape run underneath the track sections,stuck to the bottom of the roadbed opposite the track, stick it on after putting the loop together....helps a bit.

I'm very happy with the little set,much nicer than the old F unit rapido coupler set i had years ago...coffee grinder Santa Fe HighBaller.

Now to build that table top micro layout!

I'll save the EZ track for a Tree mounted circuit this Christmas!

Thanks Bachmann!

Jim Hail
Currently landscaping and ballasting a 4x10 HO.....using a NCE DCC PowerCab and Having a Blast.[move]

the Bach-man

James Hail

Update..... set performed flawlessly around the tree this year!  Still going great......smooth and slow is possible.....

Jim
Currently landscaping and ballasting a 4x10 HO.....using a NCE DCC PowerCab and Having a Blast.[move]

brokemoto

The design of the forward live truck is an old one and while reliable, it does create drag on the locomotive.  To give this the best performance, you should find a SPECTRUM slopeback or USRA switcher tender.  If you get the slopeback, you must flip over the drawbar.  If you get the switcher tender, you must not only flip over the drawbar, but you must also do a bit of cutting on the tender chassis.

See Spookshow's website to learn more about this and other N scale steam locomotives.