News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Minimum radius curve for 0-6-0

Started by BuddyL, August 03, 2009, 12:17:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BuddyL

I'm a newbie and have an 0-6-0 loco (Chatanooga).  I am very limited on space and budget and would like to run the  0-6-0 on 15" and 18" radius track.  Will the loco perform good on the 15" radius track and #4 turnouts?

simkon

I would suggest to avoid using 15" radius curves, you know that limits your rolling stock to mostly old-time cars 40' and smaller and no passenger cars.  15" radius is asking for trouble with derailments though.  I am assuming you are using sectional track, not a variant of EZ-track, Uni-track, etc., or flex-track. Even if the 0-6-0 can fit on the 15", I would only consider running something like a dockside tank (0-4-0) or a EMD model 40 "critter", or something else with only 4 drive wheels and a short wheel base.

jonathan

BuddyL,

Just for fun and curiosity, I set up a small oval in my mountain, using 15" radius curves (sectional).  The turnarounds finish-off with a 1/3 piece of 18" radius track... a crude easement if you will.  So the oval really looks a little dogbone like, if you can imagine it.  You would be amazed what I can run on that oval.  ALL of my 8-wheel diesels will negotiate the curves, as will my 2-8-0 Connies.  I intended for it just to have the Gandy Dancer sneaking around, but the Dancer runs so poorly, I now run an ore train on it.  Your 0-6-0 will look just fine on tight radius track.  Just keep the car lengths 40' or less.  Don't let lack of space frustrate you.  I have seen wonderful layouts that were relatively small.  The scenery will make it fun to operate.

Hope this helps and enjoy!

Regards,

Jonathan

Oh yeah, here's a pic of my ore train coming around the 15" radius oval

jerryl

Your 0-6-0 will run on 18" radius track & much smaller if there isn't a flange on the middle set of drivers.  An 0-4-0 will be able to run on a much tighter radius than a 0-6-0 with the center drivers flanged.

Santa Fe buff

I would stay with 18" radius, but 15" sounds about right for a minimum. Do file the flanges on the center driver if it keeps leaping off the wheels. If you wanted, you could add a product called "Bullfrog Snot". It's a liquid rubber that is applied to a driving wheel and hardens to a fitting rubber form, and provides incredible traction. You could apply it on the center driver, instead of the same old traction tire, I'm recommending that if you wish compared to a traction tire (Without a flange or alcove for it to hold on to) that will give the risk of falling off. (Of flinging off, either or.)

Jerry,
I wonder, based on this topic's information, wouldn't the 0-4-0 be able to operate on 12" radius? Interesting.

Back on the topic,
I found (If you really want to...) removing some of the step-ups and any other obstacles from the axles allows a tighter, even 360 degree, rotation. A longer shank coupler will help as well. Though, I don't recommend anything over 30 scale feet.

Joshua
- Joshua Bauer

RAM

For someone that is new to the hobby I would say do not file the flanges on the center driver. 

Nigel

Your 0-6-0 will run fine on 15" radius track with no modifications.

Many years ago, there was captioned picture in MR showing an 0-4-0T on circular loop with a silver dollar forming the inner rail, and hand spiked outer rail  I believe that it was a Mantua 0-4-0T, and reportedly it ran fine - of course it pulled nothing.

The limiting factor in most instances is the car behind the locomotive getting pulled off the rails, not the locomotive itself.

The old Mantua 2-8-2 was rated at 14" minimum radius.
Nigel
N&W 1950 - 1955

buzz

Hi BuddyL
Uhmm
Wasn't the original G&D RR UK std First Radius curves of 14,5/8"
and that had passanger coaches.
I would certainly be asking awkward questions if an 0-6-0 would not negotiate a 15" radius curve as this is as far as I am aware the US std first radius curve.
And all the small 0-4-0's and 0-6-0's should go round it I would think
some of the larger locomotives will to but they would look rather silly.
If you must use 15" curves stick with small loco's my suggestion would be nothing larger that a 4-4-2 and short rolling stock
For coaches look for second hand Bachmann, Tyco and Roundhouse "shortie" wild west  style coaches.
I don't think any of the listed manufacturers still make the real short almost toy wild west style of coaches it is a shame these are not still available.
When it comes to scenery make sure it shows why the curves are tight
and every thing will fall into place.
Have fun let us know how you get on.
regards John
A model railway can be completed but its never finished

jerryl

Have a Varney add from about 1950 that shows thier version of a Docksider (0-4-0) going around a 12'' LP record. That's about a 6" radius!!!
                 Jerry

Jim Banner

Anybody else remember a photo in MR showing an H0 railroad built on the brim of a hat?  I don't remember the details but I suspect a 10" diameter circle of track with a docksider and a couple of 50 ton ore cars.  This was long before N and Z scales.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

RAM