News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DC layouts

Started by Cody J, August 04, 2009, 09:23:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cody J

Me being a 13 year old and not having enough money to go to DCC, I operate DC. I am building a new layout with lots of industries to switch and my only engine I have now is a Bachmann BN SD40-2 and I want another engine to do the switching. Is there any way to have two seperate circuits but make it look like one operation?

Thanks,
Cody
CSX Mt. Storm Subdivision- Freemont, West Virginia

http://s277.photobucket.com/albums/kk49/trainsrock96/

Chris350

The operating scheme you are looking into is called block operation. Using toggle switches, and insulated joiners, you electrically isolate sections of your layout from one another.  This way one can operate two or more trains simultaneously.  You have to power each block, meaning multiple controllers.  You also need to make sue you don't create short circuits as trains cross from one block to another.  Basically you are creating multiple layouts with separate controllers, that are connected.   This is only the  broadest generalization, you'll want to read up on Block Control for the specifics.  There are  number of DC users here that can give you more specifics.  I understand once you have the principles down it's very straight forward.

In your case you create a block for the main line and one for the switching operation.

simkon

If you have 2 transformers, or one the can run 2 engines, use isolating rail joiners like plastic ones (on both the right and left rail), to isolate your industrial service track from the main lines and the rest of your track to create 2 "blocks". So your switcher runs off one transformer up until where you have isolated the track, and the other loco runs on the mainline up until that point. Atlas makes plastic rail joiners and they're really cheap:)
Btw-there are other ways to do this, but this is just one way.

*Sometime between when I started writing this while eating a salad and when I posted it somebody else posted pretty much the same stuff I ended up saying. So I guess I pretty much said the same thing again

Chris350

Quote from: simkon on August 04, 2009, 09:42:58 PM
*Sometime between when I started writing this while eating a salad and when I posted it somebody else posted pretty much the same stuff I ended up saying. So I guess I pretty much said the same thing again
Strange that's what I was eating while posting this....

RAM

If you want to run two trains at the same time you will need two powerpacks.  If you plan on parking one while you run the other, than you will only need one power pack.  I think with a small layout, running one train at a time is the way to go.

Chris350

Quote from: RAM on August 04, 2009, 11:16:32 PM
If you want to run two trains at the same time you will need two powerpacks.  If you plan on parking one while you run the other, than you will only need one power pack.  I think with a small layout, running one train at a time is the way to go.
This solution make things simpler, since you then only need to isolate a section of trackage to park the line loco while you run the switcher. So while you build the next rain with your switching loco, the line locos can be off on a shop spur being serviced or some such.

CNE Runner

Cody - after reading the instructions above, you now see why DCC has gained in popularity. I remember the 'block system' of wiring...and remembering is a whole lot better than doing. I would suggest you add a relatively cheap DCC unit on your birthday/Christmas/Hanukkah list...or see if you can do some yard work etc to earn the money yourself. The entry level Bachmann or MRC units are excellent and can always be replaced by something like NCE later...after you have made your first million (although there are some very experienced modelers, on the forum, that have never upgraded and run amazing layouts just the same).

The flip side of this argument is that DCC will cost you more. Locomotives that are DCC-equipped are considerably more pricey than DC versions. Exceptions to this are the Bachmann diesels that can be had quite cheaply (I have a Bachmann GP35 that has served me well for years). DCC can also become costly if you decided to include all the 'bells and whistles' such as DCC controlled turnouts and other electronic gadgets.

In the long run you will be glad you started out with DCC - because that is the way the industry is headed. How immersed you become in this system is a function of your interest and wallet size.

Good luck,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

Cody J

Thank you for all of your info

Jim Banner

Two blocks, one to run a main line train and the other to do yard switching, is a great way to go.  I run DCC for when I have friends over and we share the railroad.  But when I run alone, I usually run just two trains, one on the main, one in the yard.  And I could do that just as well (and a lot cheaper) with two power packs.

Jim

p.s. If you need help with figuring out the wiring or how to block the layout, particularly if both trains have to share some of the track, I am sure one of us can help you.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Cody J

Atlantic Central

Cody,

First, everyone has given good advice, but keep this in mind. It may be nice to start right of with DCC, but, as noted even by those suggesting it, that it will make everything cost more.

I started in the hobby at when I was your age, I'm 52 now. You have lots of time to earn money, learn more about trains, real and model, and become a very skilled and knowledgeable modeler. You don't need to rush anything, take your time and have fun.

If you stay with DC for a while, you will learn lots of basics about electricity that will help you with all aspects of model trains and other things in life. Then, if you switch to DCC later, wiring your own decoders or hooking up boosters or reverse units will be a snap, because you will aready have a good backgorund in electrical stuff.

Jim, gave you some real good advice. For a small layout multi train DC wiring is not that complicated and will teach you a lot.

I still use DC. A very complex and advanced form of DC with lots of wiring and radio throttles. You may not ever want to do something like that, but understanding DC wiring will help you in this hobby.

Sheldon

the Bach-man

Dear Cody,
Starting with an EZ Command system is very affordable, and you'll easily be able to upgrade when finances permit. You can start for well under $100, and we have dozens of DCC Onboard locos for under $50. Wiring a 4' by 8' layout for cab control will not be that much less expensive. I'd suggest saving your money until you can get what you want.
Good luck!
the Bach-man

jward

i think way too many people are intimidated by dc aka block wiring. it is not complicated, just the same basic circuit repeated for each block.

wiring for 2 cabs is almost as simple as wiring for one cab. atlas has a line of electrical switches that greatly simplify things. the one you will want is called "selector" and it consists of 4 slide switches mounted in one unit. it runs about $10.

using this system, you only gap one rail, using the other as a common return. you run pne wire from your power pack to the common, one wire to the "a" terminal on the selector. you run a wire to each of your isolated sections (blocks) from the terminals on the top of the selector. one wire to each terminal, each from a different block. want a second cab? connect it to tbe "b" terminal, and to the common rail, and you now have 2 power packs that can run any train anywhere with just the flick of a switch.

having just one block for your yard, and another for your mainline isn't going to work too well. your yard engine will be stuck in the yard, and the mainline engine stuck on the main. you'll want to have at least 2 blocks on the main, so your locomotives can work around each other. 3 on the main would be better, plus maybe an isolated track in the yard where you yard engine can duck out of the way while the mainline train picks up cars in the yard.

a quick look at any of the layout books atlas publishes will show you how the system works.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

rogertra

My present GER is DC wired and the wiring isn't that complicated if you keep track of it.

While wiring for DCC is technically simpler, you still need to know how to wire wyes and reverse loops and turntables.

However, wire wiring for DCC may be easier than DC but at least with DC you don't need a 50 page manual just to learn how to program.  :)

DCC may be the way of the future, the next GER will be DCC, DCC is not "easier" than DC as the complexities of programming outweigh the easier wiring.

Jhanecker2

To trainsrock :   Both Atlas and Kalmbach  publish books on Wiring Model railroads that describe both  DC  and  DCC   wiring  for train & track control .  Both contain illustrations that  make it relatively easy to do all the wiring you will need to do, no matter which way you decide to go in the future.   There is no wrong or right  way , it is up to you . Even DCC in its more complex forms require powerblocks just to have enough power to run the trains.  John II.  Good Luck & have Fun .