News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Alco 4-6-0 anyone

Started by redgaterover, April 07, 2007, 11:27:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redgaterover

Now that Bachmann has finally done what so few have ever done before and introduced an Alco family loco in HO with their beautiful Richmond 4-4-0, how many others are there, like me, that would welcome an Alco ten-wheeler suitable for the 1900 to end of the steam era period?   I'd love to see a large drivered, large boilered Alco ten-wheeler along the lines of an MEC loco as was so common on many roads in the 20s and 30s.  Bachmann this would be a model that has never been mass-produced with a potentially large market. -Jim

Orsonroy

Sign me up for a NKP R-series 4-6-0:

(sorry; image removed)
Ray Breyer
Modeling the NKP's Peoria Division, 1949

Nigel

Hi Ray;

Looks like the picture you are trying to show is from the members only section on the NKPH&TS's website.

This links seems to work, but not as an embedded picture:
http://nkphts.railfan.net/preservation/pictures/steam/nkp304jpg.html
Nigel
N&W 1950 - 1955

rikc9

Quote from: Nigel on April 07, 2007, 04:26:41 PM
Hi Ray;

Looks like the picture you are trying to show is from the members only section on the NKPH&TS's website.

I wonder if that is why I get a pop up message asking me to log in?
The first time I looked at this thread, the original post was the only message and no pop up.
No I get a pop up everytime I try to read or reply.

rikc9

Orsonroy

Hi Ray;

Oops; thanks for the heads-up Nigel; I removed the image link so it wouldn't annoy anyone else!

Unfortunately, the NKPHTS seems to have the only NKP R-class photos online! I'd love to have a model of the NKP 4-6-0 you posted, but that engine is NKP 44, a P-3.
Ray Breyer

WoundedBear

Hi Ray;

You just gotta dig a little deeper into the page source code...lol.

pdlethbridge

or this one from the denver public library.

lanny

If this is an Alco, I wouldn't mind being able to get a model of it. It's 'brother'/'sister'(?) worked the Milwaukee Road branchline from Calmar, IA to Cedar Rapids, IA which ran right next to my Grandmother's house in Strawberry Point. When, as a little kid in the early 50s I visited there, I most always got to see one of the only two locomotives that were working that branchline then. An MWRR gas/electric doodlebug called by the locals 'the dinky', and #1081, a locomotive identical to this one pictured at the engine facility in Cedar Rapids.

It's one non-ICRR steam locomotive I would really like to have. The square headlight is a special remembrance of mine.

lanny nicolet
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler

Orsonroy

Thanks pdlethbridge; I  completely forgot that Denver might have a photo of an R!

Lanny; that's a nice looking Ten Wheeler! Too bad about the headlight though, but the Milwaukee DID have some interesting appliances!

I've always wondered why no manufacturer has ever come out with a C&NW R class 4-6-0, like 1385 at North Freedom. You would have thought that with that engine running all over the Midwest in the 1980s (and right past Walthers AND Kalmbach a few times!) that SOME manufacturer would have come out with a version of her! Actually, I've spent so much time riding behind and chasing 1385 that she's what I think of as a typical 4-6-0.
Ray Breyer

ebtbob

Good Morning All,

I would tend to doubt that Bachmann would do an Alco 4-6-0 simply because they already have a 10 wheeler on the market.   Now in On30.......one can only wish and I for one would not care if it were an Alco model or not.   Just take the large scale one and shrink it down ala the 2-8-0.

Bob
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

redgaterover

Thay may not produce an Alco ten wheeler. Based on the response my post got, I wouldn't despite there having been thousands of prototypes. However, not producing an Alco ten wheeler because they already produce a Baldwin is like saying that they will only produce one type of boxcar and only one flat car. The only thing common between the large  Alco ten wheelers I mentioned and others posted pictures of  and the Baldwin ten wheelers that Bachmann sells is the number of drivers. -J

MrMunchkin

Yes, something along the lines of the old Varney (now Bowser) "Casey Jones" is definately needed. The Bachmann ten wheeler is an excellent loco but it is a very old and small prototype. Most railroads  used larger ten wheelers as medium sized passenger locos and some used them for freight and milk train  use.  P.M.

robertjohndavis

A loud yes! I would love to see a 69" drivered (or larger) ALCo 4-6-0. Like one of these:

C&NW R-1
CPR D10
O&W E

Rob

r.cprmier

If Bachmann won't...then maybe BLI/Precision will...with sound yet.

Hey guys, don't mind me, but this is a competitive world after all, right?

Hey, Johann, let's gett moving on this one, OK?

Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

martin_lumber

I'd buy 3 R-1's if Bachmann produced them. Although I can't say much for the prototype at this time (it's in pieces, and probably will never run for a long time), a R-1 model would be perfect.

3 of them exist-
-1385, North Freedom, WI-
-175, Houghton/Hancock, MI (with NP tender)-
-444, Denver, CO

Phil