Soundtraxx Tsunami Installation in Climax

Started by John, August 19, 2009, 09:22:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John

Has anyone installed a Soundtraxx Tsunami micro in a 0n30 Climax? It has a little less room than the Shay. I have the older PNP Soundtraxx unit installed currently, but without a stay alive capacitor it is not the smoothest runner. I am curious about installation room (plan to used wood load > space) and how the decoder was insulated since it does not come with a covering?

Tim

John

All tsunami's come with a cover.

If it has no cover it may not be a Tsunami, or someone has removed it.
In either case don't touch it it is junk.  Soundtraxx will not honor the waranty
if the cover is removed.

Tim Anders
Souderton, PA

Hobojohn

There is enough room in the tender to store the soundchip.  In order to gain room I even installed my soundchip there on its side against the side of the tender. The Micro Soundtraxx does not require that much space. You have to fiddle around a bit to find the best spot for it.
Leave the wrapping of the chip intact!
There is also an intended space for a speaker. Find a speaker that is as low as possible but fits snugly inside the 'circle'. The greater the speaker the better the sound.
One well meant advice: unscrew and examine the underside of the PC board of the climax and snip, better file away any sharp particles that stick out. Insulate the underside with a piece of thin tape so it does not short with the top of the speaker.

John Baron
Netherlands

C.S.R.R. Manager

John, did you buy the Climax with the Soundtraxx Tsunami system pre-installed?  Those units aren't wrapped, and they are bigger than the Tsunami chips that are sold individually.

Manager

John

It is my mistake on the Tsunami Micro not being covered When I looked on the Soundtraxx site they show the board uncovered. I went back and looked at the full size board and they show it uncovered also. I know it is covered on delivery. I do have the older SoundTraxx DSD-B2TCLC board installed currently and it was uncovered, but it is mounted to the existing Bachmann circuit board and has clearance on all sides. I am planning to use the existing speaker since it is already mounted and the precautions mentioned above have already been taken. Knowing that the new board is already covered is a big help. I was really concerned on how I was going to insulate the board without overheating it and I am glad to know the micro will fit. Thanks for the help.

Hobojohn

John, be suprised on what the Micro Tsunami can do when looking at its size!
I was impressed
Have fun mounting it
John Baron
Netherlands