News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

HO catenary?

Started by stationmaster12, September 17, 2009, 10:33:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stationmaster12

Hello everyone,
I'm planning to start an Amtrak NEC layout in HO and I need help on getting a live catenary system up an running. I've yet to decide weather to go with DCC or DC. I plan to run electric locos as well as diesels. Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Keep God first in all that you do.

simkon

I think rapido might make a live caternary set, but I could be mistaken
You could run your diesel locos separate from your electric locos because on bachmann locos that can draw power from the overhead wires, when you set it to run off the overhead wires it disables the on track pickup I think, allowing you to use that for your regular diesel powered locos.

ebtnut

Marklin also makes (or made) a full catenary system.  However, in looking at the Walthers catalog site they seem to be back-ordered or out of stock.  Note that the Marklin (and probably the Rapido) systems are of European style, which won't match the old PRR or New Haven overhead systems.  OTOH, scratchbuilding a catenary system is a good way to start taking up stamp collecting as a hobby.

mlrr

Don't forget this resource: 

http://www.modelmemories.com/

They do pennsy and NH style catneary (Both found on the NEC)

Modeling the NEC is never cheap but if done right; worth the time and money
~Kyle
The Mary Lindsay Railroad - Featuring Amtrak Model Trains
www.marylindsayrr.vze.com

stationmaster12

Thank you all for the input! I'll keep stamp collecting in mind tho....LOL And please if anybody else has more input, please keep it coming!
Thanks!!!!

ta152h0

very interesting design problem.If I was the "responsible engineer" I would approach it from the catenary mast as the ground return path and run the black wire (DCC ) to the mast instead of the left rail. I am surethat is  why no one lets me be the responsible engineer, unless the train leavesthe track.

RAM

I just thought of something.  If you are going to run your diesel locos separate from your electric locos You must not turn the electrics locomotive around.  Let say one rail is + while the other is - and the overhear is -.  you pick up the + from one rail and the - from the other.  Now you turn the locomotive around and you would pick up - from the rail and - from the overhead.  The diesel and steam would run great.

Jim Banner

Powering both rails and the cat is a great way of smoking decoders with DCC.  At certain boundaries between power districts, you can end up with double the voltage applied to the decoder.  To solve that problem, and the turn around problem RAM mentioned, you would be better off using DCC track power for everything and using dummy cat.  Unlike dc street car systems, there is no advantage to using the overhead with DCC.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

ta152h0

with some careful thought, you could isolate a MARKLIN catenary system and use a DPDT switch to reverse the signaland feed the red wire  flow for DCC. try it on a breadboard situation first for the possibility of releasing factory smoke in great quantities is possible. . I would love to be on that commitee.

ta152h0

Always measure resistance between railsbefore turning on the power

Nigel

Check out the June 1993 issue of Model Railroader for an article on how to build your own.  The article is about the North Shore Line, but the techniques are applicable for any catenary.
Nigel
N&W 1950 - 1955

stationmaster12

Mouse

ebay is a good source of catenary material. There was Jason's Brass Poles, but his website is closed. He makes great poles and wire. I have some and its looks great and is close to NEC. You can find it on ebay, too. Look under catenary in HO scale.
  As for powering the overhead, it can be some work, but it look real when the lights are low and the pantograph skips at a joint and sparks for a sec.

stationmaster12

Thank you mouse i will try that. So fat I've been able to find a couple of options for catenary. It's proving to be a project to build, but Iv'e got time!

Paul M.

If I were you, I'd just run power through the rails and string dummy catenary wire - it seems to be the easiest thing to do!

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific