News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC ?

Started by tford, October 01, 2009, 07:44:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tford

Do I need to use a booster for a layout that has two 20ft tracks running 3 loco's? Bachmann EZ Command

jward

which system do you use?
i want to say no you don't, not on a layout that small. but i think it would depend on the amp rating of your system. mine is 2.5 amps and i had no problems with it on a layout much larger.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Chris350

I would bet not, but you will want to feed power to the rails in more than one location.  I think the ideal is a feeder for approximately every 10 feet of rail.  These come from the power supply bus that runs from the power outputs of you command station.

tford

Sorry, the Bachmann EZ command that came with a set i got as a gift that I havn't opened / I think it is only 1 amp.

ebtbob

tford,

Chris gave you the important piece of info for now.   It matters not,  how much track you run.   What does matter is how often you feed the track with power.   So follow his advice,  every 10 feet will work well for you.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

Jim Banner

How much current you need is a complex equation.  It depends on the locomotives, the grades if any, how many cars you pull, the condition of the cars and locomotives, and even the temperature.  With good quality, modern locomotives each pulling half a dozen cars on the flat, you are probably okay with no booster.  Add some grades, add some more cars including some with pet hair and lint around the axles, pull them with some old train set locomotives that have never been re-lubricated and like the cars are packed with lint and pet hair, and you might have trouble running one.  For the best answer, try them and see.  You will not hurt either your locomotives or your E-Z Command by trying.

Current required is virtually independent of the length of track.  But layouts with a lot of track rely on good wiring practices to get the current to where it is needed.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Jhanecker2

To Jim Banner : Good Afternoon in answer to your query regarding regard in the rhyming problem with the English Language . Please remember the English Language as currently spoken and written is a rather complex creature that at times makes as little sense as the U.S. Tax Code and is as subject to revision.  English is a trade tongue and as such has borrowed and utilized the resources of every language it has come into contact with . It therefore has utilized foreign words rather than create totally new words internally, and it is a totally formal language having gotten rid of the informal aspects. It makes it alot faster than German to get to the point.   I once asked my superviser a German from Berlin about the How German got where it was and He told Me : " We had the language First and we Made the rules later . " German uses Latin Grammatical Structure.  John II

Jim Banner

I like your explanation.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.