News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

slaughter house workers

Started by SteamGene, October 07, 2009, 02:52:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Banner

Stephen,
Interesting comments about them being "bovines."  Are you perhaps British?  For some reason, I seem to associate that term with the UK.

Up here in my little corner of Canada we usually use the term "cattle."  I am not sure why.  We don't have a lot of other bovines (Water Buffalo, Yaks, etc.) to confuse them with.  The problem with "cattle" and I suppose with "bovine" is what do you call one of them?  Around here they usually talk about "one head" as in "he has three head of cattle, I just have one head."  But Cow is also used as a generic term as in "Git yer gol durn cow outta my cabbage patch," even if the "cow" in question is a bull, steer, heifer, or calf.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Bill Baker

Gene,

Look at the post entitled "Train People" posted by lexon.  In his post there is a link to some HO size figures, some of which may fill your need for slaughter house workers. 

Bill
Bill

SteamGene

Beef cattle are often Angus, which are solid black or red (read box car red) with no horns, or Hereford, which are red with white faces, belly and socks.   You can do a search for "cattle" and find pictures of many breeds  and what they do.  BTW, old milk cows become ---- old beef cattle.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"