News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

FT-A & FT-B ?

Started by tford, October 24, 2009, 08:26:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tford

Everyone knows by now that I am new at modeling; so here goes. If you are running a FT-A and a FT-B together on the same train and both are powered how do you knon they are running at the same speed? is one pushing or pulling the other?

ABC

Well if you're running DCC set them up as a consist and then make adjustments to the CVs until they both run the same speed, if running straight DC then as long as the gearing and motors are the same they should run well together.

tford

OK, what is a consist and how do i adjust a CV oh yea what is a CV?

Santa Fe buff

Dear tford,
A consist is what makes up a train. For example. The consist is a FT-A, CB&Q Railroad boxcar, and a ATSF railroad caboose.

A CV, well...

A CV is a Control Variable. In DCC, you can control many variables. Or something the train can do. One CV is the horn, the bell. One is the address. Like where you live, it identifies a specific locomotive. So, say you have your FT-A. It is CV 4, or locomotive 4. While the FT-B is CV 5, or locomotive 5. What you could do, is change (program/adjust) them to the same CV (number). Is it possible? YES! It's a basic thing of DCC, just follow the DCC system's instructions on how to program and change it's CV, and then be sure you know what your locomotive can do too! Sometimes they are different then the system, so be sure your following instructions. So, after a bit of fun changing, FT-A and FT-B are both locomotive 4. So, when you go to change it's speed, they both work simultaneously! In perfect tune. If your in DC, where you can only control Speed, Direction, and Power. You just have to guess that since they are nearly the same locomotives that there motors and gearing inside are so identical that they'll rung nearly simultaneously.

If you have questions, please post. I love explaining DCC and DC, I find it's my calling.

Good luck, and the E-Z Command from Bachmann is very great for starting off! It includes a DVD, VERY great for instruction! However, the E-Z Command is far from a very real DCC system. It's very limited, and is more laid out for easy use. Real systems involve more effort.

Cheers,
Joshua

P.S. I just basically just said exactly what ABC posted... just more explaining.
- Joshua Bauer

Tylerf

Just a few things, by consisting, yes it can mean the whole train but in this purpose it is simply how many and which locomotives are MU'ed together. This is considered consisting in dcc terms. I'm sorry I'm kind of objecting totally to the last post but I noticed one other thing, by changing CVs ABC would have meant changing the speed tables so that both locomotives run the exact same speed, not just the same time, ex; the two locos should run at the same speed at notch 20(or say quarter throttle for non digitrax users) I point this out because there is a huge difference between a simple adress change and speed matching, skill wise and the fact that you can't speed match with an ezcommand throttle.

Michigan Railfan

Well, if you're running DC, disconnect the two engines, and make sure nothing else is on the track. Turn up the throttle, and if one falls behind, you know that one is not as strong. If its the B unit that falls behind, then the A unit is pulling it. If the A unit falls behind, then its being pushed by the B unit.

tford

I am using EZ Command. thanks for all the posts; they explained everything, now i am running them both on the same "CV"  and they seam to be working well together. thanks again.

mf5117

make sure there on the same address with the EZ COMMAND  , my sante fa ft-a & b unit run fine .no push me pull you . I have the ez command controller as well ,and all my bachmann locomotives run well . some day I will upgrade the controller .but as for now I run 5 strings at a time with 2 consist just fine . In the process of reworking my layout .and have the good ol'e gp-40 as my test engine . I've had the sd40-2 out a couple of times . due to shrinking the 18" radius inner loop down in size . And getting  and doing more with the 22" radius .

ABC

Quote from: tford on October 25, 2009, 03:40:31 PM
I am using EZ Command. thanks for all the posts; they explained everything, now i am running them both on the same "CV"  and they seam to be working well together. thanks again.
Most people would call that running them on the same address or running them as a consist. Since you don't have a Dynamis or other controller that can program CV's, you won't be able to change the speed tables should you have an A-unit from one company and a B-unit from the other (or for that matter 2 completely different locos in the same consist). Say you had an Athearn Genesis A-unit and a BLI B-unit, even with running them on the same DCC address they probably would not match exactly due to a difference in gearing and motors. So the solution would be to adjust the CVs for acceleration, decelleration/momentum, speed tables, etc.. until they both react the same to any adjustments you make to the speed and run the same scale mph at that setting.

tford

Thanks again guys; this form helps so much.