News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

IHC 2-8-2 Mikado information

Started by djp, October 30, 2009, 02:18:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djp

Does anybody have the IHC 2-8-2 Mikado? I have seen it for a good price on Model Train Stuff. Would like to know if it has a brass flywheel and how good a performer it is. Thanks.
Get Off My Train !!!

Billm10454

I don't have a 2-8-2, but I have a 4-8-2. It does have a flywheel and I feel it runs smooth.

Pacific Northern

Quote from: djp on October 30, 2009, 02:18:29 PM
Does anybody have the IHC 2-8-2 Mikado? I have seen it for a good price on Model Train Stuff. Would like to know if it has a brass flywheel and how good a performer it is. Thanks.

IHC HO 2-8-2 features
Blackened metal RP-25 contour wheels (in gauge)
Can motor with flywheel
Coupled wheelbase: 80 feet, requires 11" turntable
DCC socket with jumper plug
Directional lighting
Drawbar pull: 3.2 ounces
Engine and tender weight: 16.5 ounces (engine alone weighs 12.5 ounces)
IHC Magic-Mate coupler on tender (at correct height)
Minimum radius: 18"
Rigid-frame mechanism

this engine was reviewed by Model Railroader and the review was good. The engine was noted as having extremely good slow speed .5 mph starting speed.
Pacific Northern

BaltoOhioRRfan

I own run, and (got it from Model Train Stuff as i use to work there!) while i perfer the athearns for their detail the IHC run just as good if not better thent he Athearns, the only thing they lack are the details. they also have pickup int he tender, which Athearns do not.
Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan
B&O - America's #1 Railroad.

My Collection on FB - https://www.facebook.com/EmilysModelRailroad
My Collection on YouTube = https://www.youtube.com/user/BORRF

lmackattack

I do not own a new IHC 2-8-2 but I have owned the older 4-6-2 and -2-8-2 and I also have a new premium line 4-6-4 all were great unners i retired the older models as i had them for 15 years and the motors gave up. I kept them going with parts from each other. My impressions on the new IHC is that they are very reliable and solid runners. detail lacks compaired to others but I can fix that easy. Only thing i really dont like is that some of them still have deep flanges that only work on code 100 track. The discription listed about the new 2-8-2 says they have the RP25 wheels wich is better for you!

hunter2115

I just bought a IHC Premier 2-8-2 Mikado. It runs like a dream, very smooth, quiet, with fantastic slow speed running. I installed a Bachmann decoder and it has been running trouble free for the past 2 weeks. AND, it runs great on 18" radius curves. I love it!

rogertra

Speaking of steam roller wheels, I wrote to IHC asking if they had plans to upgrade their 2-6-0 with RP25 wheels etc..  Sadly, their answer was "No plans at this time."  :(

ABC

I have an IHC 0-8-0 Erie and it runs great, I think it has a brass fly wheel. I have an IHC 4-6-4 Hudson in New Haven livery and it is older, but a solid runner.

djp

Thank you guys for the response. I will be buying the 2-8-2 Mikado thanks to the positive comments. BTW Imackattack did you buy a IHC 4-6-4? I am looking for one too but the MTH, BLI models are really expensive. Cannot afford them. How much did you buy your 4-6-4 for? Thanks once again gentlemen.
Get Off My Train !!!

BaltoOhioRRfan

Quote from: rogertra on October 31, 2009, 03:01:29 PM
Speaking of steam roller wheels, I wrote to IHC asking if they had plans to upgrade their 2-6-0 with RP25 wheels etc..  Sadly, their answer was "No plans at this time."  :(

I heard that IHC is going out of business, not becuase of the econemy, but the children of the current owner do not want to take it over and the owner wont sell it.
Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan
B&O - America's #1 Railroad.

My Collection on FB - https://www.facebook.com/EmilysModelRailroad
My Collection on YouTube = https://www.youtube.com/user/BORRF

ebtbob

As far as I know,  the flywheel in any of the IHC steamers are not brass,  correct me if I am wrong.   Also,  be aware,  the 2-8-2 does not have an operating pilot coupler.    As stated,   they are good runners and pullers. 
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

Pacific Northern

The manufacturer of the IHC steam engines is or rather was Mehano. IHC had the distirbution rights to North American.  Bachmann had the distribution rights for Europe.

Mehano went bankrupt but someone has restarted the company. The new company has moved the production line to China and has just now released their first engine which was an European diesel engine.

The Mehano product line included a lot of European items.

I hope the new company will not abandon the North American market.
Pacific Northern

lmackattack

Quote from: djp on October 31, 2009, 03:07:56 PM
Thank you guys for the response. I will be buying the 2-8-2 Mikado thanks to the positive comments. BTW Imackattack did you buy a IHC 4-6-4? I am looking for one too but the MTH, BLI models are really expensive. Cannot afford them. How much did you buy your 4-6-4 for? Thanks once again gentlemen.

Yes  the 4-6-4 I own is a IHC model.

great runner, it will pull about 38 freight cars on its own at the club I belong too. will run on 18" but looks very bad doing so as it has such a large tende. its flaws are oversize wheel flanges, no pilot coupler, plow/cow catcher sits to high above rails. side rod detail is poor. I fixed all of those besides the sid rod detail

djp

It seems like a discontinued item. Where did you get yours from and for how much?
Get Off My Train !!!

lmackattack

ebay and for about $80-100 ???  i cant recall the exact price