News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2-6-0 tender derailing

Started by C_Burke, November 10, 2009, 02:42:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C_Burke

Hi Gang.

I have a Bachmann oN30 2-6-0 Colorado & Southern. Typically I set it up at Christmas.......and have been working on the layout for about a month now. I have run the train several times.....and varying speeds and all was well.

On Sunday however, the tender started derailing when it went around a switch, or when it went of the 90 degree crossing. I have cleaned the track. Checked for un-level joins etc. I can find no obvious reason for this.

This is an intermittent problem, and only happens on the tender. Are the trucks the problem?

Thanks
Chuck Burke
Maui Hawaii

Jim Banner

The trucks could be the problem, particularly if the wheels are dirty or dragging.  The latter can be caused by lint/pet hair etc. wrapped around the axle.  Sometimes a bent drawbar connecting the locomotive to the tender is at fault.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

C_Burke

Never thought about the drawbar...I'll check that out too.

Thanks Jim.

Chuck Burke
Maui Hawaii.

C_Burke

Checked the draw bar. It's ok. Changed the switch. No difference. Tried pushing the wheels apart on the truck. That worked for about 12 rounds...then it happened again. Tried adding some weight. That worked for a little while also.

Checked the track alignment ( I am using EZ track, nickel silver....)....made no difference....

I'm frustrated. Any other suggestions? I am going to order new trucks tomorrow. Maybe that will fix it.

NarrowMinded

Hi
check the height of the couplers to make sure they are not drooping down too far and contacting part of the crossing or switch. I had a car with a bad coupler that drooped down when it was under load. it would catch and derail the car

NM

Hobojohn

Suggestion: take the trucks from the tender and pass them each through the switch.
Look what is happening and what causes the derailment. Trucks the problem or the points in any way?
Are the wheels the correct width? Check them with an NMRA gauge, Kadee has something too to check.
Succes

John Baron
Netherlands.

C_Burke

Thank you all for your suggestions...I am becoming more convinced it is a wheel alignment problem......so today I ordered a gauge and just in case a pair of new trucks.....

It was also suggested that I weigh down the tender so I might try  that.

Last night however when I was investigating the problem, I noticed that the left front wheel of the rear truck, seems to separate the switch ever so slightly, and want to go straight instead of curving into the turnout.

I'll keep you posted, and thanks again for your help.

Chuck

HHRR

Chuck,

Is the tender drawbar free to pivot?  When my tender starting derailing occasionally, I loosened the drawbar screw slightly so the bar was free to pivot.  Derailing stopped and never happened again.

Joe