News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann starter set

Started by full maxx, November 18, 2009, 12:04:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

full maxx

Just wondering if the Bachmann Spectrum Explorer Santa Fe 1308 comes with the complete dcc system as far as being able to control more than one loco ... it says dcc on board , does that mean the loco is set up to run with dcc or is the dcc controller in the box so you can get other engines on the same track and control them also or is there something else to buy
look up FullMaxx1 on youtube or check the blog for the lastest updates  www.crumbsinmycouch.com

ABC

The locomotive itself is DCC equipped/ has DCC on board, but it does not come with the E-Z Command Controller nor does it come with the Dynamis Controller. It does comeu with either a standard Bachamnn line DC controller (if newer) or a Bachmann Spectrum DC controller (If older). These are just your everyday DC controllers and have no DCC capability.
You must purchase a Bachmann E-Z Command System or Bachmann Dynamis Controller seperately to run multiple locos on the track.
The Digital Commander (AT&SF FTA & GP40 included), the Steam Digitial Commander (Union Pacific 0-6-0 switcher w/ DCC), and the Diesel Digital Commander (Union Pacific EMD GP-40) sets all include a Bachmann E-Z Command Controller, and will allow the control of up to 9 DCC locos and 1 DC loco (but only has enough power to actively run 3 to 4 at a time).
Product Codes:Digital Commander 00501,  Steam Digital Commander 00502, &  Diesel Digital Commander 00503. Following is a link to all the HO DCC-equipped sets:
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/products.php?act=viewCat&catId=194

full maxx

ok so if I get the a fore mentioned set and get the e z command separately , is it plug and play and I assume it comes with program instructions  also the steam digital commander comes with the e z commander that will control other dcc engines?? One more thing...If I also get your first railroad track pack, the switches it comes with are electric remote that can be controlled by the ex command too or are there seperate buttons that switch them? Thanks very much for answering all my newb questions as this is for my 4yo and me for Christmas. He is a train NUT. One last thing , we are trying to get the Pere Marquette with dcc on board to mach up the polar express in ho scale , I think the engine is item number Bachmann 50949 painted and unlettered ... so my question is what is the turning radius of this engine ...will it work on the 18in radius of the track pack or will it derail? Thanks again, Scott
look up FullMaxx1 on youtube or check the blog for the lastest updates  www.crumbsinmycouch.com

ABC

Quote from: full maxx on November 18, 2009, 12:29:10 AMok so if I get the a fore mentioned set and get the e z command separately , is it plug and play and I assume it comes with program instructions
Yes the E-Z Command has an adaptor that connects to the terminal rerailer of both the black and grey E-Z track. All Bachamnn's locos have a default address of 03, so you can use button 3 to control them at first and it gives instructions on how to change the address.

Quote from: full maxx on November 18, 2009, 12:29:10 AM
also the steam digital commander comes with the e z commander that will control other dcc engines??
Yes, it comes with the E-Z Command system and a DCC equipped 0-6-0.

Quote from: full maxx on November 18, 2009, 12:29:10 AMIf I also get your first railroad track pack, the switches it comes with are electric remote that can be controlled by the ex command too or are there seperate buttons that switch them?
No, the switches included in "Your First Railroad Track Pack" are not controllable at all by the Bachmann E-Z Command System. The switches/turnouts are controllable only by a standard power pack using the AC connectors. The turnouts include an electrical switch for each individual switch to control the turnout's position. You must purchase DCC decoder equipped turnouts if you wish to operate them with a DCC system.
Quote from: full maxx on November 18, 2009, 12:29:10 AM
One last thing , we are trying to get the Pere Marquette with dcc on board to mach up the polar express in ho scale , I think the engine is item number Bachmann 50949 painted and unlettered ... so my question is what is the turning radius of this engine ...will it work on the 18in radius of the track pack or will it derail?
The DCC-Equipped 2-8-4 Berkshire Steam Locomotive has a minimum turn radius of 22 inches, and most standard length passenger cars also require a minimum turn radius of 22". Also I would suggest using #6 switches with larger engines and rolling stock, as they are not as sharp as regular turnouts.

If you have any additional questions please do not hesitate to ask, as I am sure someone will have the answer.

full maxx

thankx for the replies abc ... is there a first train track pack that has 22in radius curves

ABC

Quote from: full maxx on November 18, 2009, 12:03:54 PM
thankx for the replies abc ... is there a first train track pack that has 22in radius curves
No, they all only have 18" radius curves, but you can buy 22" radius curves separately as well as DCC #4 or #6 turnouts.

DONNA

I JUST BOUGHT A BACHMANN LIBERTY BELL BIG HAULER, CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT YEAR IT WAS MADE IN.  I DON'T HAVE THE BOX YET,  I JUST WON IT ON EBAY.
THANK YOU
DONNS

Joe Satnik

Dear Donna,

The Big Hauler sets are discussed in the LS or "Large" scale sub-forum.  (This sub-forum is for HO, a different, smaller scale.) 

Go back to "Discussion Boards",
then
click on "Large",
then
click on "New Topic",
then
put a subject in the subject line,
then
repeat your question.

Click-on/use the "Preview" button liberally before hitting the "Post" button.     

Congrats on your win. 

Please unlock your caps.   Pure upper case is hard to read, and is considered "shouting" on forums.

Thanks. 

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik   

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

full maxx

I have searched around but can't find out what the radius is for the spectrum express santa fe set

ABC

Quote from: full maxx on November 18, 2009, 06:00:41 PM
I have searched around but can't find out what the radius is for the spectrum express santa fe set
You are referring to the passenger set that includes 3 passenger cars and a Santa Fe 2-8-0 steam locomotive equipped with DCC correct?
The features of that set include:
    * 2-8-0 locomotive with tender and operating headlight
    * DCC-equipped for speed, direction, and lighting
    * combine with interior lighting
    * coach with interior lighting
    * observation car with interior lighting
    * 63" x 45" oval of nickel silver E-Z TrackĀ®, including 16 pieces of 22" radius curved track, 3 pieces straight track, and 1 plug-in terminal rerailer
    * DC power pack
    * DVD format video with assembly instructions

Michigan Railfan

Full Maxx, I realize you want HO scale, but, Lionel makes an O gauge Polar Express Set, but , Bachmann makes the Pere Marquette number 1225, which is the actual engine used in the movie (I've seen it in real life). If you still want HO Scale but want a full Polar Express set, you could buy the O gauge set, and still buy other things in HO scale.

full maxx

sweet thanks abc because I want to get the Bachmann Pere Marquette 2-8-4 ... I'm just gonna have to go a little bigger than 4x8 to have more than one line

full maxx

Quote from: IndianaJones12 on November 18, 2009, 06:24:46 PM
Full Maxx, I realize you want HO scale, but, Lionel makes an O gauge Polar Express Set, but , Bachmann makes the Pere Marquette number 1225, which is the actual engine used in the movie (I've seen it in real life). If you still want HO Scale but want a full Polar Express set, you could buy the O gauge set, and still buy other things in HO scale.
the lionel set is a little bigger than we have room for considering future expansion ... there is a train store in Greensboro that the owner may be able to put the numbers and wording on the Pere Marquette and the passenger cars that come with the explorer set after I paint them to match the polar express considering if they come apart...I use to put together 1/24 model cars and paint them to pretty fair detail but I just can't do the numbers and lettering and I will be posting pics during progress and construction

Michigan Railfan

Oh, just thought I'd let you know.

jbsmith

I've got the PM Berkshires,,they are great steam locos, Bachmann did good with them.
They CAN run on 18" curves. But 22" are even better.

******The Berkshires do NOT like the basic switch/turnouts that come in track packs.********

They can handle the straight thru part, but will derail about 98% of the time
going thru the turn out part.Guarantee it.

Like ABC recommends,,you will want to go with the #6 turnouts.

The set you are looking at comes with 22" anyways, so that is not a bad deal at all.

Passenger cars,,are you going to custom paint them? just curious.

Here is a link for the REAL Polar express to give you some ideas,
click around, you'll find the photos.
"our collection"
and for some reason, probably legal ,they had to change the name to "north pole express"

http://www.mstrp.com/index.php

also if you got cable or dsl,,just go to "you tube", there are Many videos of the real PM 1225 there.

One Last Thing----These trains are delicate,,4YO tend to be rough on what they view as "toys",,,I recommend that only Daddy handles the trains untill he is old enough.