News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

dcc

Started by trainmaster, November 19, 2009, 11:59:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trainmaster

dcc
i have a dcc ready bachmann spectrum k4 4-6-2 what decoder should i use and also does this model come with a speaker?its the plain dcc ready locomotive.this is a brand new locomotive the tender seems to have holes for a speaker that may not be there. can anyone tell me if the new k4 462's come with a speaker.

ABC

I don't know what decoder to use, but can tell you that no speaker or "accommodations" for a speaker are included. Maybe try a Tsunami decoder??

Pacific Northern

The tender for the ready for DCC K-4 does have the 8 socket plug in for the DCC decoder, so it is an easy install for any DCC decoder with the matching plug.

However, for sound you will find that it is not any easy install. There are no provisions for a speaker for sound. You will either have to remount the existing circuit board after drill holes in the floor of the tender or you will have to mount the speaker under the coal load after having drilled out holes for the sound.  You would then need to build a baffle for the speaker.

Some of the later steam engines produced by Bachmann are ready for adding sound by having the speaker holes drilled out and a mount for a speaker such as the Spectrum 4-4-0 and the Standard 2-8-4. 

DCC brands, the only brand name that I would avoid it the MRC decoders.  There are many posts from users who have had their decoders come to a smokey demise. The only sound decoder I would ever recommend are those by SoundTraxx
Pacific Northern

Jim Banner

I, too am assuming your mention of a speaker means you are looking for a sound decoder.  May I add yet another vote for the Tsunami?  It is a wonderful decoder.  No wonder Bachmann selected it as their standard sound decoder.  In addition to its flexibility and great array of sounds, it is a high end mobile decoder that can really bring out the best in your locomotive.

As a cheaper alternative, you might consider a Digitrax DH165 mobile decoder plus a Digitrax Sound Bug.  One nice thing about this combination is that you can install the mobile decoder now and install the Sound Bug later when you can afford it.  The Sound Bug comes complete with a 1-1/8" speaker and has both steam and diesel sounds built in.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Chris350

Quote from: Jim Banner on November 20, 2009, 11:52:29 PM

As a cheaper alternative, you might consider a Digitrax DH165 mobile decoder plus a Digitrax Sound Bug.  One nice thing about this combination is that you can install the mobile decoder now and install the Sound Bug later when you can afford it.  The Sound Bug comes complete with a 1-1/8" speaker and has both steam and diesel sounds built in.

Jim
I will toss out the thought that Sound Bug is basically open source, so one can create custom sound files.  I have not looked into how it works, but do know the JMRI Decoder Pro will interface with Soundbug and handle the upload.