My HO Spectrum 2-8-0 "threw a screw" - PLEASE Help !!!

Started by mobilman44, November 21, 2009, 11:08:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mobilman44

My first Bachmann DCC loco, purchased just weeks ago, threw a screw while testing out my trackage on my "under construction" layout.  It is the screw attaching running gear to the third set of drive wheels (one on each side of the loco).  It is approximately 1/4 inch long, and about 1/16th diameter, with a 3/32 head.  It is metric (?), and non metallic.

I have done several searches of the layout and room - even with the nylon sock in the vacuum trick - but to no avail. 

I contacted Bachmann Service and simply wanted a replacement screw, but was told they would send an entire chassis and I could return the old one.  I thought this a waste of time/money for both of us, and asked them to reconsider just sending the screw.  After 4 days and no response after me sending 2 more emails, I am getting pretty frustrated.

I have been an HO model railroader since the early '60s and a Bachmann customer since the mid-'70s.  I currently have 5 fairly new Spectrum locos.  This is my first "parts problem", and frankly I am concerned.

Please, can anybody out there help me????   

Mobilman44

Chris350

Frequently they will send you the part/assembly, you swap it and send the defect back.  Easy.  Postage on a silly little screw is probably almost as much as the assembled chassis.  Your local shop may be a good source as well.  They frequently have a selection of small screws and misc parts.

rich1998

the spectrums have metric hardware. made in china
lex

full maxx

I am a total newb and don't even have a train yet but the new chassis is the way a respectable company would handle a problem like this...being into nitro monster trucks for over two years and being on the forums everyday, it is common place for a company to replace the whole unit instead of sending the screw so that way they know there is not another problem that caused the screw to fall out and they can inspect it when they get it back to help with quality control
look up FullMaxx1 on youtube or check the blog for the lastest updates  www.crumbsinmycouch.com

Robertj668

mobilman44
Do you have a local Hobby shop near by?  They might have it in their personal stock for when they fix engines.  I looked at the schematic of your 2-8-0 and tried to figure out a part number so I could look for it on eBay but the one I think you  lost did not have a part number.  I think.

I agree with full maxx on that the company may want to figure out why the component failed. But the customer should come first in that if you want the screw only then just send the screw.

I hope it all turns out well.

Robert

lmackattack

best bet is to get a replacement from Bachmann as that screw may have a surface for the side rods to swing around on. or you could pull the same screw from the other side and see what thread pitch it is and head to a hobby shop that sells small screws.

Trent

full maxx

Quote from: Robertj668 on November 21, 2009, 07:25:10 PM
mobilman44
Do you have a local Hobby shop near by?  They might have it in their personal stock for when they fix engines.  I looked at the schematic of your 2-8-0 and tried to figure out a part number so I could look for it on eBay but the one I think you  lost did not have a part number.  I think.

I agree with full maxx on that the company may want to figure out why the component failed. But the customer should come first in that if you want the screw only then just send the screw.

I hope it all turns out well.

Robert
I see the parts break down but what about stuff that aint listed like the 2 8 4 Berkshire Pere Marquette
look up FullMaxx1 on youtube or check the blog for the lastest updates  www.crumbsinmycouch.com

ABC

Quote from: full maxx on November 21, 2009, 09:20:26 PM
I see the parts break down but what about stuff that aint listed like the 2 8 4 Berkshire Pere Marquette
I don't know where you were looking, but its there, PLAIN AS DAY (sort of)!
Here's the link, it is listed under
b.Standard Line
   i. HO  HO 2-8-4 BERKSHIRE STEAM LOCOMOTIVE & TENDER DCC EQUIPPED
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/50901.pdf

The fact that it is part of Bachmann's standard line and not Spectrum line may have been the reason why you didn't see it, because you didn't bother to scroll down the page, you just made an assumption that when it wasn't listed at the very top that it wasn't there...no I am just kidding, it was pretty easy to miss, the format of the page is somewhat deceiving, if you know what I mean...

full maxx

yes you are correct I was not too lazy to scroll down but when the page opens it has ho at the top then n gauge, I just thought that was all of the ho engines there were...will be more observant in the future

mobilman44

Hi again!
Thanks for your advice and it sounds like you "feel my pain"! 

The screw in question is metric and I pulled the one on the other side of the loco to use for my attempts to find another.  Neither I (with 50 years of HO stuff) nor the two local hobby shops can help.  I've even looked for "junkers" on Ebay and elsewhere but no luck so far.   And, I've looked at small parts providers on the net and the screw is just to small to determine exactly what its thread count/pitch is...........

What especially bothers me is that the good folks at Bachmann Service have not gotten back to me nor answered my emails after our first "conversation".   That, and the fact that I have a beautiful new loco on the disabled list is really making me "unhappy" (for want of a better word).

Thank you all,
Mobilman44

Jim Banner

My Bachmann Spectrum 2-8-0 is from an early production batch but not the first batch.  I pulled a couple of the screws out of the crank pins on the wheels and measured them.  They are M1.4 x .30 which means 1.4 millimeters in diameter with the threads .30 millimeters apart.  The ones in the crank pins of the first, second and fourth axles, counting from the front, are 3.3 millimeters long  and have 2.5 millimeter hex heads that are 55 millimeters thick.  The ones in the third axle, which sits in a recesses in the crank arms for the valve linkage, are 2.5 millimeter long and have 2.0 millimeter cheese heads .55 millimeters thick.  They are all metallic with a black finish.

The head and shank diameters are similar to the sizes you posted but the lengths are much shorter.  Even the longer hex headed ones are only half as long as yours.  I had hoped to be able to send you a screw, but one that is too short won't help you much.  But at least you now know what size you are looking for and if you do try to pick up some used parts, you will know to avoid the oldest vintages.

Jim 

Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

mobilman44

Jim, Thank you!
  The length with head is 6mm, "less head" is 5mm.  I am not very familiar with metric screw designations but this may be a 1.4 x .3 x 5. 

I sure wish someone from Bachmann Parts could tell me exactly the size screw I am needing - even if they will not provide one.

Thank you all,
Mobilman44

Chris350

Did you call or email?  Sometimes it's worth the investment of time and effort to phone Bridgette in service, who is very good at problem resolution.

mobilman44

Chris,
  Please reread my original posting.  The reason I am bringing my problem here is that the Bachmann Service "group" has apparently ignored my emails (subsequent to the original email exchange).  I'm normally a very patient and understanding man, and I have always felt that Bachmann was "one of the best", so this situation is really not in line.
Mobilman44 

Atlantic Central

Mobilman44,

Two thoughts, just accept the Bachmann "whole product/assembly" replacement policy, it will make all your Bachmann dealings very rewarding, even though it seems wasteful to us older folks.

Next, don't use e-mail, it is hit and miss with them. I have found phone calls and letters to be very effective, e-mail, not so much.

Remember I have 26 spectrum steamers, have returned a few, have purchased parts for kit bashing/swaping and have posted a number of technical info items on this and other boards, so I have a little experiance with the service department in Phily. They are a small group of hard working folks working with limited resources (they only get some parts from the factory overseas, many other parts come off returned locos).

Best of luck with your problem.

Sheldon