Train Set for Christmas Tree

Started by christyson, November 29, 2009, 05:11:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

christyson

Hi,
I am new to train models.  I plan on getting a set for running around the Christmas tree this year for my family to enjoy.  I have two young children, who will not be using it without adult supervision.  And the set will only be set up during the holidays and won't be used year round (til the kids get older).  What scale do people recommend getting? Any specific Bachman sets?
thanks for your help!!

RAM

I would say the bigger the better.  Under the tree you pick up a lot of things. 

GCTTowerA

I would tend to lean to a larger scale like O or G, especially with younger children. I have an HO under my tree, but I have an artificial tree and no carpet to get in the way.

NarrowMinded

I run a G scale around my tree, the big hauler sets come with everthing you need and are good a bagain. you can usually get them cheap on ebay or an online store.

NM

jettrainfan

If they still had the bachmann anniversary set that had a white pass & Yukon R.R. 4-6-0(definitely out of prototype but still good) with the freight cars, I'd totally recommend it! but as NarrowMinded said, Any big hauler set is good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZL7jR1cRb4             

This is how i got my name and i hope that you guys like it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jettrainfan?feature=mhw4
youtube account

ABC

Live or artificial tree, if running on the floor, your best bet is large scale or G scale, as the debris from the tree and floor will cause problems even if the track has a built-in roadbed.

Joe Satnik

Dear christyson,

I have a new, sealed in box Christmas G Scale 90054 "Holiday Special" Annie-Passenger set with Santa Trolley. 

It has an Anniversary model (meaning metal side rods and better detailing) 4-6-0 steam engine and coal tender, coach and observation passenger cars, and a motorized trolley with Santa motorman. 

It also has 40 feet of track and two power-packs, enough to build 2 separate layouts. 

I also have the matching add-on 2 car set of baggage and combine cars. 

You can look up my Ebay feedback rating (ID = jgsat).  Others on this board seem to be satisfied in dealing with me.  (Do a Bachmann Board search on "Satnik G track".)

Any questions?  Contact me off board: joebarb"AT"wwt"DOT"net

Thanks.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

TrainArts

G scale is cool but costs more and takes up space. I have a 40' track running around the living room, it's neat!

Before you decide, if you're simply looking to have something Xmas-like running around the tree, check out the auto-reversing Xmas trolley set.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200407282067&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

NOTE: This is not my listing on Ebay, I have found in nearly all cases these guys have good service and the best price around. As always, caveat emptor, but I've bought several products from them, including the Christmas trolley. It's pretty cool!