News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2 Loops with Bridge

Started by peterclones, December 06, 2009, 08:21:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peterclones

I'm brand new to this hobby and just bought the n scale Iron Duke set to make a simple loop on my coffee table for Xmas.  I thought from there I could make a little bridge over to another table where I'd place another loop.   So I bought a left turnout and a right turnout to attempt this.  This layout however causes a short in the loop as I found out.  I'm wondering if it's possible now.  Please see attachment and let me know what you guys think.  Is there a way to wire the turnouts differently from inside to make this work?  Would a different piece like a wye track solve the problem? 

ABC

What you have is 2 reverse loops, one on each end. What you need to do is use insulating rail joiners to isolate the 2 reverse loops from the straight portion in the center. Then you need to have a switch to change the polarity of the track when it enters and exits the reverse loops. A second solution would be to remove the reverse loops by removing the 2 turnouts and running 2 tracks over the bridge side by side.
the dashed line represents the 2nd track you would add. The solid line is the existing track already in place. The slashes represent the curves.

peterclones

Thanks a lot for the reply.  Would using a such a switch to change polarity work automatically on its own, or would I have to switch it manually when the train approaches those spots?  I want the train running non-stop between the loops.  For the dual bridge method I'd have to buy more track and it's a long bridge at around 5 feet, so it wouldn't look as slick, but it might be the best way to go.

ABC

If you have DCC, you can use an automatic reversing unit, but most N scale modelers do not as most N scale locomotives do not have DCC. If you are running DC you must manually throw a switch to reverse the track polarity each time it enters/exits the reversing loop, so it would not be able to run continuously.

peterclones

Thanks very much.  That clears it up for me.  Much appreciated!

jwoj69

Quote from: peterclones on December 06, 2009, 08:21:45 PM
I'm brand new to this hobby and just bought the n scale Iron Duke set to make a simple loop on my coffee table for Xmas.  I thought from there I could make a little bridge over to another table where I'd place another loop.   So I bought a left turnout and a right turnout to attempt this.  This layout however causes a short in the loop as I found out.  I'm wondering if it's possible now.  Please see attachment and let me know what you guys think.  Is there a way to wire the turnouts differently from inside to make this work?  Would a different piece like a wye track solve the problem? 

If this is Your first project, making it simple at first would make a lot more sense. You can try something like figure eight. Starting with reverse loop switches etc, if You not going with DCC could create more problems... Starting simple would allow You to enjoy Your train set quicker. You can always change it as You wish.
jack