Power for 16V AC accessories

Started by chancealan, December 09, 2009, 04:24:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chancealan

???
I have added several street lights, buildings and parked cars that all have 16V AC lighting.  I am now tripping the breaker in my transformer and have to unplug it to get the lights back on.  Does Radio Shack or any other place make a 120V AC plug adapter for the wall to a 16V AC wire for my lighting?  I was once told to buy a bunch of old transformers and just use the accessory terminals on them to get the job done.  That just seems like too much extra clutter for my layout.  Looking to streamline the process.  Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

Brian Foster
Hermitage, PA 16148

Jim Banner

Radio Shack can sell you a device to cut 120 vac down to 12 vac.  They call it a transformer.  A one amp unit is about $8.  To that you will have to add a metal cabinet, some sort of terminals, a line cord and a circuit breaker.  Total cost about $20.  This will provide you 15 VA of power, almost as much as a used 16 VA model railroad power pack costing $2 to $5.  They have a variety of other transformers up to a 50 VA transformer which could be useful if you are familiar with 3 wire power distribution.  At $10.50, it is a better deal than the smaller transformer although it too requires a case, terminals, line cord and circuit breaker.  It produces the same amount of power as a used model railroad transformer such as a MARX that normally sells for $5 to $10, but as I said, requires 3 wire distribution.

Jim   
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

NarrowMinded

There are 16vac 40VA plug in power supplies available at electronic stores
I think I have heard them called wall warts here.

NM

Jim Banner

Incidentally, light bulbs do not care whether you run them on alternating current or direct current.   If you run bulbs on 14 volts, or even 12 volts, they will be a bit dimmer but they will last a lot longer, in fact, 42 times longer at 12 volts, 6 times longer at 14 volts.

Jim

chancealan

Thanks for the advice on running them a little dimmer.  I knew that the bulb would "work" at a lower volt, but was trying to run it at the level listed on the packaging of the product.  I will check out these options for getting power to my lighting.  All of your advice has been helpful for a second year layout builder. Thank you, Brian

Jim Banner

I certainly like your lighting.  Night scenes on a model railroad always look warm and cozy to me.

Jim