News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

I need help with steam locomotive

Started by guitardavemenet, December 24, 2009, 11:40:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guitardavemenet

Can anybody please help me?
I just bought the Bachmann HO scale Chattanooga train set and I cannot get the Locomotive to smoke. I have added the drops but nothing happens.
Is this common on new trains or did I get a bad one?

ABC

No there is absolutely nothing wrong with your locomotive. You just need to run it at full speed for a while, and then it will smoke. The Bachmann smoke units require heat to make the smoke, so the best way to get heat is the run the loco all out, or wire it for DCC and then you won't have to run it 130 scale mph. And sometimes if you add too much smoke it takes a lot longer to get started if at all.

guitardavemenet

Will it eventually smoke if it was overfilled?

ta152h0

No, it will not. Suck out the oil and replace with about 5 drops to start. Or hol the locomotive upside down for a few.

wwidup

We were also told to never run it without oil in the engine.  It will cause the funnel to melt.

pipefitter

Quote from: wwidup on December 26, 2009, 01:17:14 AM
We were also told to never run it without oil in the engine.  It will cause the funnel to melt.

I have some IHC steam locos with smoke units, and their instructions say the same thing. However, melting will occur only after running for some time, not right away. The smoke unit is a little heated metal cup that sits inside the plastic funnel or smoke stack. It takes awhile for it to get hot enough to melt the plastic.

Robert
Grew up next to B&O's Metropolitan Branch - Silver Spring Maryland