News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Moving the domes on the HO Spectrum 2-8-0

Started by NevinW, December 24, 2009, 11:47:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NevinW

How difficult is it to move the domes on the spectrum 2-8-0?  Are they separate and held on with screws or part of the boiler casting?   I would like to model a UP (LV&T) prototype that had the sand dome positioned where the bell is now.  Otherwise it looks fairly close.  I have never disassembled that particular model.  Thanks -  Nevin

rogertra

Quote from: NevinW on December 24, 2009, 11:47:03 PM
How difficult is it to move the domes on the spectrum 2-8-0?  Are they separate and held on with screws or part of the boiler casting?   I would like to model a UP (LV&T) prototype that had the sand dome positioned where the bell is now.  Otherwise it looks fairly close.  I have never disassembled that particular model.  Thanks -  Nevin

Sadly, the sandbox and steam dome on the 2-8-0 are all part of the boiler casting.  The only way to remove them is to cut them off, patch the resulting holes in the boiler barrel and then add a new sandbox and steam dome.

Bill Baker

Roger,
I'm glad you resonded to Nevin's question.  Didn't you kitbash a Bachmann 2-8-0 some time back?  You had some great pictures showing the progress and if it isn't too much trouble, I would appreciate seeing them again.  Also they might give Nevin some idea to modify his.

Thanks, Bill
Bill

rogertra

Quote from: Bill Baker on December 29, 2009, 04:04:07 PM
Roger,
I'm glad you resonded to Nevin's question.  Didn't you kitbash a Bachmann 2-8-0 some time back?  You had some great pictures showing the progress and if it isn't too much trouble, I would appreciate seeing them again.  Also they might give Nevin some idea to modify his.

Thanks, Bill

Actually Bill, it was someone else who was kitbashing the 2-8-0 into a 2-8-2 and I'd like to see photos of the finished loco, with a description of how it was done, as well.

All I've done with some of my 2-8-0s is some minor detail replacement and shortened some of the tenders so that they look more Canadian.

Bill Baker

You know Roger, now that I think of it you're right....it was a 2-8-2 conversion.  I can't remember who it was either, but if by chance they read this thread I would love to see the pictures again too.
Bill

RAM

I remember someone was going to make a 2-8-2T

BaltoOhioRRfan

Theres a 2-8-0 I kit bashed, the one dome is not Part of the casting bu its glue in. and was almost impossible to get off(the one in front of the cab)
Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan
B&O - America's #1 Railroad.

My Collection on FB - https://www.facebook.com/EmilysModelRailroad
My Collection on YouTube = https://www.youtube.com/user/BORRF