News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Track for Athearn N RTR

Started by mbpriddy, December 31, 2009, 06:50:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mbpriddy

I've recently ordered an Athearn train (engine and coach) and would like to buy a basic track for it. I'd love some basic pointers on selecting track for this train. In the interest of not being a complete idiot, I've done a good bit of reading, but can't find specific answers.

The items are identified as:
ATH-10020: Athearn - N RTR F59PHI, Dallas-TRE #569
ATH-10149: Athearn - N RTR Bombardier Coach, Dallas-TRE

First up would be the identification of the type of track. The obvious question is, does the Bachmann N-Scale E-Z Track product work with this train? In addition to the specific answer, I would love a discussion of how someone would determine this information.

What's the tightest turn radius I could expect from this? I suppose that's specific to the engine, rather than the coach? The only reference I could find for a similar product suggests that I'd be limited to a minimum 18" radius. [It turns out that this reference is actually for the HO scale product. op] That seems rather large, and is actually for a different product, though similar. Would I be best off taking my engine down to my local hobby shop and checking it out? If so, what am I looking for?

Next, how many turn tracks segments make a complete circle? Does it vary based on the radius?

Finally, with all of this in mind, if I wanted to construct a basic oval layout, what specific track segments might I use?

ABC

The link you provide is for the HO version. This should be able to handle 11" radius or so, but the bigger radius you use the better results you will have. And the sections of tracks required varies based on the radius (or more specifically the degrees each section of track makes up of a full circle).

mbpriddy

Sure enough! That would explain at least part of my confusion. Since I've ordered the N scale, then it would be safe to assume that the turning radius would be much tighter than the HO scale.

I completely understand that the segments needed to complete a full circle will depend on the number of degrees each segment makes of a full circle, but what I don't see is an indication of what those degrees are in a typical product description. So I figured that this must be specified somewhere else, or perhaps it's just simply understood.

ABC

N-scalers probably know how many degrees each radius typically are, I am primarily in HO and only have 3 N-scale locos compared to around 150 HO locos.

mhampton

The E-Z 11.25" radius curve track is 30 degrees per section. The typical blister card pack of six pieces will do 1/2 a circle.  Your loco and cars should have no trouble.

mbpriddy

Sweet!

Thanks, Mike. I appreciate you taking the time to explain how many degrees each segment covers.

So to recap, this Athearn train would have no problem with Bachmann's E-Z Track? Part of the question is electrical, and part is turning radius. The rest is just my lack of experience.

mhampton

Generally speaking, an N scale diesel locomotive from any manufacturer will run on track from any other N scale manufacturer.  Bachmann's DD40AX is one that might require larger curves.  Most steam locomotives bigger than a yard switcher will require larger curves, too.  Passenger cars and long freight cars (such as auto carriers) will look better and perform better on wider curves.  Bachmann's E-Z curved track is probably about as small a practical radius you can reliably use for your train.  Other manufacturers do make tighter radius curves, but you shouldn't have any troubles.