News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

PRICING VARIATIONS

Started by Dasher, January 04, 2010, 12:18:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dasher

In searching for more Bachmann sets, rolling stock and engines, I find the prices are all over the place! Bachmann's prices from the factory are, well, high. eBay is another source, but, prices/condition vary widely there, as well.

I have found a dealer who sells the Bachmann complete sets...brand new in the box...for about half of what Bachmann lists theirs for on this website.

Is there that much markup that this dealer can sell these for half Bachmann's MSRP and still make a profit? Not that I'm complaining, but, wow...quite a difference in pricing!

James Thomas

Typically, the street price is about half Bachmann's list price.  Bachmann does this to protect their dealers and retailers. 

-JRT

Heave

My Hobby shop gives me a discount. However I have found eBay to be quite good in pricing of new or like new bachmann items. I try to get rolling stock for 20 dollars instead of 50, 60 or whatever they might be at full retail. I might pay 30 dollars max for any of the bachmann On30 freight cars.

Call me a cheapskate but there is no contest when Ebay or other sources have engines at 140-200 like new versus same engines still sitting on the hobby shop shelf at 350-500 retail.

Sometimes other hobby shops dump stock going back to 2006 or whatever at 20 or less online. I try to be ready for those.

On the other hand, I think there is a mess going on regarding split gears or whatnot and certain engines are dumped onto Ebay in quantity.

In this economy, it will be a long time before pricing drops... and probably NOT until the same products are re-released with sound and DCC.