News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Elimination possible?

Started by ThomasFan247, January 05, 2010, 05:07:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThomasFan247

I was running my LS Thomas, Annie, and Clarabel on a track with a configuration like this:

When the consist went around the bends marked in red Annie and/or Clarabel knocked Thomas and the coaches off of the track. Is there anyway I can eliminate this problem  ???

-Christian

James The Red Engine

Hey Chris,
I think I can answer this for you.  When I started out with my first Thomas set the same problem occured.  However this was HO scale insted of G scale.  Check to see if Annie and Clarabel's buffers touch.  This happened to me and it caused them to derail.  Most likely you have your radius too sharp.  Can the couplers take this kind of turn?  Lastly, are the tracks neatly put together or are there gaps between the rails in some spots.  You might want to consider a less tighter radius.

Hope this helps. ;)

ThomasFan247

Quote from: James The Red Engine on January 05, 2010, 05:12:38 PM
Hey Chris,
I think I can answer this for you.  When I started out with my first Thomas set the same problem occured.  However this was HO scale insted of G scale.  Check to see if Annie and Clarabel's buffers touch.  This happened to me and it caused them to derail.  Most likely you have your radius too sharp.  Can the couplers take this kind of turn?  Lastly, are the tracks neatly put together or are there gaps between the rails in some spots.  You might want to consider a less tighter radius.

Hope this helps. ;)
I found that the couplers are touching, hence, the derailments  :P Also, I would try a radius less sharp but sadly i cant get new track. o well

vic

Looks like you might have a "Reverse S" situation, are there any straight sections where the curves change direction? or does the curves just go right into other direction.

If there are no straight transition sections theres no room for the couplers to  stay in alignment as the cars move thru the curves, as the curves change direction the couplers can swing in opposite directions and they will literally pull each other off the track as they try to swing along the changing curve arc. The straight sections give them a chance to stay in better alignment as the transition thru the change in direction.

The "Reverse S" should be avoided, even a small 6" straight section can do wonders to prevent problems. If this isnt a permanant layout try adding a straight section between where the curves change direction.

ThomasFan247

Quote from: vic on January 07, 2010, 02:47:00 PM
Looks like you might have a "Reverse S" situation, are there any straight sections where the curves change direction? or does the curves just go right into other direction.

If there are no straight transition sections theres no room for the couplers to  stay in alignment as the cars move thru the curves, as the curves change direction the couplers can swing in opposite directions and they will literally pull each other off the track as they try to swing along the changing curve arc. The straight sections give them a chance to stay in better alignment as the transition thru the change in direction.

The "Reverse S" should be avoided, even a small 6" straight section can do wonders to prevent problems. If this isnt a permanant layout try adding a straight section between where the curves change direction.
Gracias  ;) 6"s do work wonders... :)