Stuck lubrication plug on Davenport 0-4-0

Started by Bullwinkle3D, January 10, 2010, 03:04:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bullwinkle3D

I recently purchased a Davenport 0-4-0 on eBay, and can not easily pry off the lubrication plug that is located on the bottom of the engine.  I do not have a manual, and was wondering if there is some trick to getting this plug off.  I do not want to use force, as the outer rim of the plug is already deformed by my attempts to pry off the plug with a small standard screwdriver.  Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

altterrain

You could try warming the plastic a bit to make it more pliable. A hot wet sponge on it or a little gentle heat with a blow dryer might to the trick. I usually use a small thin modeling spatula.

-Brian
President of

Bullwinkle3D

I'll give that warm sponge idea a try.  Also, does anyone know how to access the polarity switch as well as the on/off switch for the smoke generator?

Kevin Strong

Gently pull up on the exhaust stack, and that will pull the hood up. There are two small little "pegs" that extend into the front wall of the cab, so be careful not to break those. That gets you to the circuit board. What controls exist on the loco are accessible from there.

BTW, the diagrams for the locomotive are available under the "Product Reference" tabs, under Diagrams.

Later,

K