News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2 engines on dcc

Started by full maxx, January 10, 2010, 04:37:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

full maxx

can 2 identical engines run on dcc together , by 2 I mean 2 ... 2-8-0 consolidated NYC 1136 thanks in advance
look up FullMaxx1 on youtube or check the blog for the lastest updates  www.crumbsinmycouch.com

rich1998

Short answer, yes. You need to use a DCC controller to get them to run together correctly. Don't try using a DC controller. Also, there is a learning curve.

Lex

ABC

You can program them to the same address to create a consist.

full maxx

can they be ran separately at the same time
look up FullMaxx1 on youtube or check the blog for the lastest updates  www.crumbsinmycouch.com

ABC

Quote from: full maxx on January 10, 2010, 07:20:56 PM
can they be ran separately at the same time
Yes, as long as they are programed to different addresses. So, one could be address 1 and the other could be address 2.

full maxx

SantaFeSteve

Thanks for that question.  I have been away from model railroading 40 yrs and learning DCC.  So does that mean that if I have FT A&B units, both powered, that I have to sync them?

ABC

If you have an FT-A & B both with DCC you should assign them both to the same address (make them a consist if using a more advanced system).

Jim Banner

Things have changed a bit changed a lot in 40 years.  With dc, you could only run identical locomotives together.  With DCC, you can still run identical locomotives together but you can also run ones with very different voltage versus speed characteristics.  In the latter case, you have to do some programming of the decoders to make the voltage versus speed curves identical or at least similar in both locomotives.  When it comes to controlling locomotives running together (referred to as "consisting" by many DCC users) there are three main ways of doing it.  The easiest, if the locomotives are always run together, like an A-B set, is to program them both to the same address.  Then when you set a throttle to control that address, both locomotives respond.  Two other consisting methods use the powers of the command station or the decoders in the locomotives to make sure both locomotives get the same instructions even though the throttle sends those instructions to only one address.  With some forms of consisting, you can make the locomotives both respond to the same instructions or return to each responding to its own instructions even when the locomotives are actively moving along the track, and even when there are many other locomotives running at the same time.

But that is not all.  You can add many locomotives into a consist, or even add one consist to another.  This usually comes up only on larger layouts where you might have a consist of say 3 locomotives pulling a long train and want to add a pair of pushers to help it up a hill.  Your pair of pushers could be in their own consist which would make it easy to run them back down the hill after helping the long train but you might want to add that consist to the front end consist for single knob control going up the hill.

Simple, basic consisting with both locomotives set to the same address is available with all DCC systems.  They even include a command to allow a locomotive to run backwards compared to other locomotives to make back-to-back consisting possible.  The more complex forms of consisting are generally available only with more advanced DCC command stations.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

full maxx

I do not have a dcc command system yet...what would be a good all around set up

Guilford Guy

EZ Command is fine if your on a short budget and wont be running more than 10 locos. Dynamis is a big step up, but can't run non decodered locos like the EZ Command can on Address 10, or Lenz/Digitraxx can on address 00. Lenz, Digitraxx, and NCE are all decent systems. A neat thing with the Lenz system is the ability to convert cordless phones into throttles.
Alex

jbsmith

you can find the basics here
http://www.youtube.com/bachmanntrains#

click on "playlists" up top, you will see a folder/picture "my vlog"on the right.
Click where is says "more info"
A menu of videos should then appear and there
you should find a 4 part video series about DCC EZ command. 

ABC

I've been saying all along you can't beat the price and quality of the E-Z Command System. It can be purchased for around $40 with s&h from the Favorite Spot on Ebay. It allows you to do all the basic functions, run 9 DCC locos simultaneously (& 1DC loco), and control 10 accessory functions (lights, sound, smoke, etc.), and control DCC turnouts. Keep your DC pack to power your accessories (standard switches & lights).

EZ Commands on Ebay for low prices..
http://cgi.ebay.com/bachmann-ez-command_W0QQitemZ330393663290QQcmdZViewItemQQptZModel_RR_Trains?hash=item4cecff373a
http://cgi.ebay.com/Bachmann-EZ-Command-DCC-System_W0QQitemZ320471696921QQcmdZViewItemQQptZModel_RR_Trains?hash=item4a9d9a0619
http://cgi.ebay.com/Bachmann-EZ-E-Z-Digital-Command-DCC-Controller-System_W0QQitemZ120477740562QQcmdZViewItemQQptZModel_RR_Trains?hash=item1c0d086e12
http://cgi.ebay.com/BACHMANN-DIGITAL-COMMAND-TRAIN-CONTROLLER-00501-CONTROL_W0QQitemZ350302450017QQcmdZViewItemQQptZModel_RR_Trains?hash=item518fa73161

rich1998

I use a non Bachmann system that can run three or four locos at once. It is nice because I can change a lot of CV's to suite me. It cost me about $130.00. There are much more expensive systems. Do a Google search for dcc cv.
Below is a link to a Google search rather than mention other systems. There are many options in these systems. try to not buy too quickly.
It will give a idea of what is available.

http://www.google.com/search?pz=1&cf=all&ned=us&hl=en&q=dcc+systems&btnmeta%3Dsearch%3Dsearch=Search+the+Web

Please remember, going from dc control to dcc is a huge leap. You can do so much more. Not to scare you but there is a learning curve.
Many people are using dcc locos with sound. I have some steam and diesel locos with nice sound.
Organize your favorites in your pc and store the links according to subject. It can be a fascinating experience.

Lex